Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Swim Platform

Author Swim Platform
DesertBoatman
Tempe, Az.

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/76

Hull No. 6260

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant
02/28/2004 8:03 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone installed a swim platform on
their boat?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/29/2004 12:12 PM Pacific Time

No, but the thought interests me. Where would you put it, Starboard stern and collapsable?
DesertBoatman
Tempe, Az.

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/76

Hull No. 6260

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant
02/29/2004 1:27 PM Pacific Time

Yes on the starboard side, with a ladder. I have been
looking at differante types, I was just wandering if
anyone has mounted one on their C22.
DB
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
03/01/2004 1:55 PM Pacific Time

I got mine from a local surplus marine warehouse and it is a small teak platform with one support up and one down also has a2 step ladder no problem to instal with 4 screws and I did put plywood inside the transom and big washers on the inside . I weigh 270 lbs and it has not moved in 4 years
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
03/02/2004 10:33 PM Pacific Time

I have also toyed with the swim platform idea but have never followed through with it since my standard ladder is holding up very well and I don't want to drill any more holes in my boat. However, back in my power boating days I had a top notch swim platform. It was a "Step On". Not only was it top quality construction but one of the things that I liked about it was that there were no holes to drill below the waterline. I don't know if they are still made but I strongly recommend that brand if you decide to go with a swim platform instead of a ladder.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/04/2004 7:34 AM Pacific Time

Anyone have that swim platform installed? I'd like to see it or a picture, if you could post one . Thanks!
Jim O'Connor
Newport Beach, Calif

Boat Name: Mas Cerveza

Model/Year: 1974 Cat 27

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Newport Beach
04/28/2004 3:51 PM Pacific Time

Help, I'm new to this. How do I find discussion group for 27's and 30's ? Many thanks.
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
02/09/2006 8:17 PM Pacific Time

I have mounted a similar platform on my boat. It was the same "one up, one down" unit referred to earlier and was found in a boat yard in Madison (Jackson), MS where I scrounge for parts. It was in good shape and refinished very well (cost me a whopping $5.00 plus stainless hardware and epoxy putty)! The swim platform is the one that West Marine sells and has the swing down ladder (which is underwater when down).

I did however modify it: the "one down" was moved to "up" to get it well above the waterline. Final postioning before mounting required some bending, cutting and welding though. The finished project looks and works great! Second thoughts would have been to move it a little bit higher though, as the platform is at the water line when the boat is really moving. (sometimes with more than four people it will be in or slightly under water)

A mounting note: I used multiple mixed large stainless steel fender washers on the inside of the transom and epoxy putty to install. The initial mockup installation revealed surface stress "sounds" when tightening the bolts.. I slightley enlarged the through bolt holes in the stern and packed with epoxy putty (Walmart - ~$4.00), then pushed the bolts through while the putty was still workable, collecting the excess and repeating the process until the the putty was set (pushing excess back through, wiggling the bolt to distribute as evenly as possible). Try to use less than the whole "stick" when mixing the putty, as one stick was all I needed for this project. This procedure was appled in two places where the tube ends attach to the stern, as the two platform mounting plates went in easily with # 6 (?) s/s screws, bedded down with "JB Weld". After 24 hours I proceeded to final installation.

The swing down ladder step mounting was also changed to swing "under" the platform to eliminate the trouble humans have with placement of feet due to the mounting brackets originally installed on top of the platform, using the platform as a stop for the swing down ladder. I still need to put "stops" on the bottom of the platform as while climbing aboard it has a tendancy to "swing". We rotate it horizontal where it is even with the platform when sailing.

No leaks to date! Have experienced children (one child in particular large in size..) taking turns jumping on platform while under way, as well as heavy use accomodating swimming ventures with no "sounds", cracks -or- leaks!

I can send a picture if anyone is interested.

Blaine

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Swim Platform