Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Leaking anchor locker?

Author Leaking anchor locker?
Robert
Melbourne, Australia

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1987 Swing keel

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Gippsland Lakes
02/19/2008 3:22 AM Pacific Time

Hi, The other week I was cleaning my boat and found a couple of cupfulls of water in the forward locker far up in the V berth. I unscrewed the timber facia at the very end of the V berth and found it to be water damaged. I suspect that water is entering through the anchor locker. When I inspected the anchor locker I found the interior crazed and cracked. However I'm not positive this is the reason - but I'm struggling to come up with another explanation.

Have others had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

I've only had my boat a short time and have sailed it only three or four times so far. The last time ( a couple of weeks ago) was particularly rough (we were the only boat on the lake!) as I wanted to see what the boat was capable of.

As I re-read this before posting I think it's pretty obvious that the water is leaking through the anchor locker.

How do I fix it?
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
02/25/2008 11:35 AM Pacific Time

Hi,
I also have an '87 and it had a small leak in the locker that could fill up that particular V berth hold below. I found that mine was in the drain hole that goes out to the bow. I used some sort of sealent in the hole spreading it with a rod and to clear the hole. Not sure but it might have been silicone. At any rate, it has worked so far.

Also If that drain hole gets plugged (which it can with lake bottom mud from the anchor), It will fill with rain water and any other possible leaks in that locker would drip down inside.

If your boat is new to you, I would go over every bolt and screw as well as check all of your wood inside. I found that my bulkheads were rotten on the bottoms because the chain plates to the shrouds leaked from rain water.

This year i had a leak in the coaming pocket where the Fiberglass was thin. I fixed that easy but I have another leak in the stern transom now. I think that it's one of the scupper holes.

All of these so far have been above the waterline.

As another pointer, check your keel cable, your turning ball and volcano. As well as the hanger bolt assemblys for the keel.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/26/2008 5:33 AM Pacific Time

As far as the leak in the transom area is concerned, you might want to look at your gudgeons. I had a fairly persistent leak in that area and only found it by blind luck.

Also, on the V-berth leak check out the ring at the bow.
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
02/27/2008 11:37 AM Pacific Time

Leaks in the lower gudgeon are a common occurance on C-22s. Best bet - remove the gudgeon, go to Ace Hardware, Buy a gasket kit and cut the rubber material to fit, reseal the entire area and the gasket with 4200, put it back on and tighten it up. This is overkill but it works.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
02/27/2008 12:18 PM Pacific Time

Leaks in the bow area are very often due to water leaking in around a slightly loose bow eye. Leaks in the stern are very often due to water leaking in around the lower gudgeon.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Leaking anchor locker?