Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / What is the use of the mast winch?

Author What is the use of the mast winch?
Tim Seguy
Alpharetta, GA

Boat Name: Blues Breaker

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Aqualand
03/10/2008 8:15 PM Pacific Time

I'm new to keel boat sailing and have recently acquired a 1974 C22. I'm trying to determine the use of the winch on the mast. I haven't needed it to raise the main or foresail, so I was wondering if I'm missing some key function. Also, does it have a specific winch handle? The design is different than the winches that are port and starboard aft.

Thanks.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/11/2008 5:50 AM Pacific Time

It sounds like you may have an old Merriam winch which takes a 'blade' handle. They are locked in place by a spring pin in the center of the winch. Use to get a finger caught every once in a while. They are a heavy marine bronze and worked for years, until some one came up with the 3/4" square drive from the top, in the '60's, which is a lot more convenient.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
03/11/2008 7:43 AM Pacific Time

The purpose of the winch on the mast is to tension the jib halyard. It should be in line with the jib cleat so just take about three turns on the winch with the halyard before going to the clete. The foresail is harder to tension then the main since the main usually has a cunningham to do the final tension adjustment and the jib does not. That is why the winch is often used there.

That winch, along with a gin pole and the jib halyard is a handy way to raise and lower the mast as well.

Greg Baker
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

03/12/2008 7:13 AM Pacific Time

It depends on which side of the mast the winch is on. Many older boats, other than just C22's, had mainsail winches, and not jib winches. My original TORCH the homemade boat built in '64 had a drum winch for the main, with wire rope on it. For fun I built a nice wood box for it, and gave it at Chinese Gift swapping Christmas party---the winner kept the box and gave me back the winch.
Back to the winch at hand, the jib can be tensioned with the back stay, after it is hoisted hand tight with the back stay off. So I would think that it would be on the mainsail halyard.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
03/13/2008 6:09 AM Pacific Time

Many Catalina 22's, including mine do not have an adjustable backstay and the winch is mounted on the jib halyard side (port) of the mast so it is pretty clear in my case what it is for. Al is right, your case may be different.

Greg Baker
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

03/14/2008 5:47 AM Pacific Time

Another change in thinking accurred in the '60's and '70's, and that was 'weight aloft'. They were finding that some newly built boats would heel in a wind and then heel further in a gust and not come back up, due to the weight aloft. So masts were built lighter and mast winches were even taken off the mast, in over kill to try and eliminate 'weight aloft'. Then the long distance single handers got their boats rigged so they could handle them with out having to leave the cockpit in heavy air. Hence the turn toward leading all lines to the cocpit.
Just info.
Al Ge
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
03/14/2008 3:37 PM Pacific Time

My boat which is a '70 model had a winch mounted on the port side of the mast. I took it off. On a C 22 you certainly don't need a winch to tension either the jib or the mainsail. My halyards both lead to the cocpit on the starboard side so if necessary I could use the jib sheet winch to tension the sails. I have never even come close to needing a winch. I plan on putting reefing lines in on the port side which will lead back to the cockpit at some point.

Have fun with your boat.

Greg
Tim Seguy
Alpharetta, GA

Boat Name: Blues Breaker

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Aqualand
03/15/2008 4:24 PM Pacific Time

Thank you all for the information. Like Greg, the winch is mounted port side. Also like Greg my halyards are run to the cockpit, so I tend to use the jib winches when I need to tighten up either the main of foresail. I really like the idea of using the mast winch with a jin pole to help raise the mast.

Thanks again for all the feedback and education!

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / What is the use of the mast winch?