Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Halyard and Sheet Sizing

Author Halyard and Sheet Sizing
Bill Croce
Fairfield, ME

Boat Name: My White Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1987??

Hull No. ??

Hailing Port: Belgrade, ME
04/24/2008 4:51 AM Pacific Time

Good Morning,
Can someone tell me the size for my Main Halyard and for a135% Genoa sheet?
I've been searching for days - No luck.
Thanks
Bill
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
04/24/2008 8:18 AM Pacific Time

Here's a link to a line selector at New England Ropes: http://www.neropes.com/LineSelector.aspx

Also, here's a link to a Catalina Yachts drawing that tabulates all the stock line sizes. http://www.fleet9.org/gallery/album02/C22_Rigging. I think rope technology has progressed a bit since this drawing was issued: lower stretch materials etc, so you may be able to get away with smaller halyards. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
04/25/2008 6:31 AM Pacific Time

You will get lots of answers Bill. They both need to be 55-60' in length. The diameter depends on what kind of sailing you do and how they are constructed. For casual sailing, 1/4" Sta Set X, or its equivalent will work. However, you most likely would want something a little larger for the sheets, since you will spend much time working with them. I find 5/16" sheets are acceptable, 3/8" sheets better. So, if you use 3/8" sheets, you can use cheaper line, since you will not be getting near the breaking strength of the larger line. I personally use 1/8" Amsteel for my halyards and cover it with the cover from Sta Set or the cheap line at Lowes they sell for $5/100. I have used Samsons Trophy Braid for sheets because of it's fuzzy cover and good hand. For the best sheets, I like Marrioli's Swiftcord, which is very expensive, but fantastic line.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
04/25/2008 8:18 AM Pacific Time

Just for kicks, you will find that even a very strong man cannot pull more that about 50 lb on a line, except maybe if he can stand and pull up. the reason is you just don't have a good position to pull from. That said, you start to use a winch or get help from another crew member, as helmsman I have been able to help with a Genny sheet, and together we get 150 - 200 lbs with our feet braced. So you can see that the breaking strength of the rope used for anything on the boat is not the issue. An engineerin g friend of mine bought 1/8" rope because it didn't need to be any stronger, bit it was miserable handling as sheets. The halyards too do not have to be strength related, but choosen for ease of handling and sixed for the sheet stoppers if you use them.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
04/25/2008 4:54 PM Pacific Time

Bill, the Main halyard should be 55-60 ft as mentioned already. If you are asking about a genoa SHEET and not a Genoa HALYARD for the 135, my sheets for my 135 are 30' each side port and starboard. All my lines are 3/8"

Steve
Greg Mason
Manchester, N.H.

Boat Name: Natural

Model/Year: Catalina 30 - 1984

Hull No. 4992

Hailing Port: Casco Bay, Maine
04/26/2008 3:34 AM Pacific Time

How in the world do you "cover" Amsteel with line?
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
04/26/2008 4:29 AM Pacific Time

Ooops. I forgot to say 55-60 for a single headsail line. Or, yes, 30' each side, if you use two sheets.

You can pretty easily tape the Amsteel to the core of the cheap line. Then you milk the other end of the cheap core out enough to attach it to a handy door knob. Then you milk the cover over the Amsteel to the place you desire.

Finishing up the cover can be as quick as whipping the new cover at the end, so it doesn't fray and will pass through sheaves/blocks/cleats. Then run a sewing machine down the cover and Amsteel to keep them solidly together. Run one seam down, then try to rotate the line 90 degrees and to another seam.

I actually use cheap Sta Set as the tail of my halyard lines for the first 20'. Accordingly, I am pulling on 1/4" Sta Set (at 50 cents/foot), but by the time the sails get near the top of the mast, I am pulling on Sta Set cover over the high tech line. The high tech line reaches back, inside the Sta set about 5-8 feet behind the cam cleat on my cabin top.

Layline will do a very nice job of that for a price. But I need something to keep me busy on rainy weekends. My Son got in the car not too long ago and sat on some crochet needles. He grabbed them and put them on the dash without saying anything. I asked him, "Aren't you going to say anything about your Daddy and his crochet needles?" "No," he replied, "I know your got those to work on the new halyards and sheets." :D
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
04/26/2008 8:32 PM Pacific Time

Catalina Direct sells the main halyard which is 65 feet long and 5/16" diameter. The upgrade line with less stretch would be West Marine Stay-Set X

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Halyard and Sheet Sizing