Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Hull # History

Author Hull # History
Andrew Shaw
Vero Beach, FL

Boat Name: Sunny Daze

Model/Year: C-22 1971

Hull No. 851

Hailing Port: Vero Beach, FL
03/01/2004 6:26 PM Pacific Time

I am the owner of C22 #851, and was wondering how that ranks among remaining C22's. Can anyone offer any info?
Captain Miles Ashley
Chincoteague Island, Virginia

Boat Name: Dragonass

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. #940

Hailing Port: Chincoteague Island Marina on Main Street
03/02/2004 4:50 AM Pacific Time

I've been running Hull number 940 for the past 5 years and love it. It seems to run well when lightly loaded. No blisters, but I did do a bottom job w/ 6 coats West System Barier Coat during restoration in 1999. I've done most all CD upgrades and this year I'm replacing headsail and roller reefing. Run Autotiller. Use Bimini a lot too. Need to do interior cusions next. Electrical completely re-designed with solar panel. This boat is perfect for my area and I sail the channels to the Ocean. Charter with couples.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/02/2004 5:08 AM Pacific Time

Andrew - Old boats are alive and well. For example, about 8-10 boats of the 24 entries in the recent Catalina 22 Midwinter Regatta were older than yours. One beautifully restored boat was hull number 76. It is aptly named Spirit of 76. Several were in the 200s and a couple in the low 800s.
Here is a list of boats in the National Association and their corresponding years. http://www.catalina22.org/techtips/sailnumbers.htm

Here are some photos of early hull numbers (and later ones in action./
http://www.catalina22.org/c22pics/index.htm
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/02/2004 5:10 AM Pacific Time

Correction of the above. I should have said here is a list FROM the National Association....
Colin Abbey
Penticton, British Columbia

Boat Name: Will o' The Wisp

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8276

Hailing Port: Penticton
03/11/2006 5:26 PM Pacific Time

My recently acquired 22 has a metal plate on the inboard side of the transome
with a serial number in the 8200 range. Is the serial number the same as the
hull number or are they two different animals?

appreciate any input

Colin A
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
03/12/2006 6:58 AM Pacific Time

Colin -- As I understand it, and there are many on this forum who have far more experience in this than I do, that number is your production or hull number. In the early days boats were not given serial numbers (or Hull Identification Numbers --- HINs -- in today's parlayance). I have hull number 2485 (and after reading this forum I feel like we have an oldster). Interestingly, when I registered the boat here in Oregon, I was assigned an HIN. I've got to now have two metal plates made w/the new HIN on them one of which is affixed in the cockpit near the existing plate and one that is "hidden" so that if the boat is stolen I can identify it. I hope this helps. (p.s. In general I have been told that your mainsail will have the same number on it as well).
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/12/2006 7:27 AM Pacific Time

Somthing doesn't make sense to me. If I look at the hull numbers for the boats in this post, there is a 1971 #851, 1972 #940, 1973 #2485, and 1986 #13645.

I'm not sure how a 1972 got an 8200 series. I tried to look at the link Dick King provided in 2004, but it looks like the web page is no longer available. Does anyone have the decipher code?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/12/2006 8:22 AM Pacific Time

Michael, try this one:

http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/techtips/sailnumbers.htm

for info pon hull #s and HINs and how changes to HIN number development on C-22s were made over the years.

Eric
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/12/2006 11:42 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Eric. I've saved the website for future reference.
Colin Abbey
Penticton, British Columbia

Boat Name: Will o' The Wisp

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8276

Hailing Port: Penticton
03/14/2006 7:39 AM Pacific Time

Hi Sean:
Many thanks for your reply. My boat's Serial (or hull #) is 8267 which I think would
suggest a '78? Yet it doesn't have a number engraved on the transome outboard
surface. My sail doesn't have a sail number even thought it appears to be the
original.
By the way, what batteries did you finally decide on?
Have a great day and thanks

Colin
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
03/15/2006 6:55 AM Pacific Time

Hello Colin -- Like you I've got no stamp on the transom. When I registered the boat in Oregon the local marine sherrif indicated that this was not uncommon for a boat like ours ('73-'74). Interestingly, we're required to affix an assigned HIN to the boat to solve this going forward.

On the batts, I wound up over-engineering the whole thing (my wife just laughed herself silly). Assuming I can make the space work, I found a group 31, 135 AH batt at Batteries+ for under $90. The box is another $10 I think. I toyed w/the dual batt system but just couldn't figure out a reason to double up and I didn't want the added expense of the selector.

That being said, I also completely rewired the entire boat and built a custom panel that I mounted in the cabin liner just aft of the galley table. The panel is made of white plexi. I took the replacement CD panel (came w/the boat) and modified it by adding LEDs for each circuit and individual screw-in fuses for each circuit. This allows me to quickly see which circuits are on and to fuse each one individually which is much safer (I also added a 20 amp in-line fuse from the batt). This proved to be a remarkably good design as I found a short in my cabin wiring circuit that blew a $.20 fuse and isolated everything else!

I also added a bilge control switch to the panel and a really nifty color-coded voltmeter that allows me, at a glance, to know precisely where my battery is. The wiring was completed with two bus bars mounted in the bilge area well above the water line just below the panel.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chattahoochee Sailing Club
03/16/2006 4:16 AM Pacific Time

Many times on these boats, you will have to sand away the previous paint job to find the numbers in the transom, and occasionally the rub rail will partially obscure or completely cover them.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
03/16/2006 7:07 AM Pacific Time

I agree with Todd that they will be easy to cover up. Mine look like they were scratched in with an awl or hand held engraving tool. They are very shallow and irregular and a couple coats of paint would easily mask them.
Greg Baker

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chattahoochee Sailing Club
03/17/2006 3:49 AM Pacific Time

The 1976 & 1977 Hulls I have on the yard both appear to be molded or stamped into the barely cured gelcoat.
The 1977 was almost not there, then add a bad roller paint job and it was gone. Knowing where it was we sanded with 220 until it was barely visible, then carefully lifted the paint out of the vin with an exacto.

On The 1976 it was so deep you couldnt cover it with ten coats of paint.

My #275 has nothing but the aluminum plate on the cockpit side.
Tom O'Brien
Coronado, CA

Boat Name: Breeze

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. 712

Hailing Port: Coronado,Ca
04/16/2007 2:47 PM Pacific Time

I have hull 712 built in 1970.
Jon Glendye
Somerset, MA 02725

Boat Name: DylIan

Model/Year: C-22 1969-1970 ?

Hull No. 302

Hailing Port: Fairhaven, MA
08/13/2009 8:00 AM Pacific Time

I have hull # 302 built, I'm told, in 1969
Bill Comber
Rossford, Ohio

Boat Name: Beach Comber

Model/Year: C-22 Sport (2018)

Hull No. 15782

Hailing Port: North Cape Yacht Club LaSalle, MI
03/05/2018 4:38 PM Pacific Time

My new C-22 Sport will be commissioned this spring, as soon as we thaw out.
Her hull number is 15782 and her home will be the Western Basin of Lake Erie.
Am really looking forward to racing again, as I raced my C-27 for 23 years and have missed it for two years.
Jack Remus
Pensacola, Florida

Boat Name: Seagull III

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11607

Hailing Port: Pensacola, Florida
09/18/2018 3:09 PM Pacific Time

From the appearance and variation in depth,spacing etc. it appears most were done by a impaired dockie with a dremel.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Hull # History