Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / heavy wind

Author heavy wind
nick milliken
portsmouth,N.H.

Boat Name: Mast Confusion

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. ctyh4507j788

Hailing Port: portsmouth, N.H.
05/27/2008 5:36 PM Pacific Time

I am learning and I would like to be assured that a 25 knot gust is not going to break my mast. The slugs ripped out so I'm a little concerned. All my rigging is in great shape. Should the shrouds be tightened more for heavy wind.
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
05/28/2008 4:48 AM Pacific Time

25 kts of wind shouldn't break the mast. I sail in the North Atlantic (Conception Bay, Newfoundland), and routinely experience gusts of 25 kts or more. The key is to either loose the main, luff up (point higher into the wind), or reduce sail. Doing so will reduce heel and lessen the strain on the rig. I have found that having the rigging properly tuned is important.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/28/2008 4:52 AM Pacific Time

Hi Nick, 25 knots should not be a problem. Rigging should be fairly tight, but doesn't have to be tightened just for heavy winds. Keep sails flat in heavy air and reef/change down so the boat is correctly powered and you can keep the sails drawing instead of luffing and causing the mast to bounce around. Many have installed the upgraded shroud attachment bolts on the deck, but if your original bolts are good this is not critical either.

Keep sails flat by pulling outhaul on the main and putting a lot of backstay in to bend the mast a bit. Lot of boom vang if you have no backstay adjuster. On the forsail move the fairleads back 4 or six inches and sail by the lower telltails, as the top of the sail will dump out the wind up there.

You do not want the mast to pump (middle section rocking forward and aft). keeping front lowers tight and backstay tight should stop this.

Good sailing!
Tom
nick milliken
portsmouth,N.H.

Boat Name: Mast Confusion

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. ctyh4507j788

Hailing Port: portsmouth, N.H.
05/28/2008 4:10 PM Pacific Time

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the help. I'm sailing out of Great Bay, Portsmouth nh. I'm told it's one of the toughest spots in U.S. due to currents and high winds. I trust my 22 much better after your responses. I would love to meet up with more 22 owners in my area. Any ideas about how to meet them.?

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / heavy wind