Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Gelcoat Repair Kits - Color matched

Author Gelcoat Repair Kits - Color matched
Martha J. Long
Methuen, MA

Boat Name: N/A

Model/Year: C22 '87

Hull No. CTYH3915J687

Hailing Port: Auburn, NH
06/10/2008 12:06 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone worked w/those Color Matched gelcoat repairs kits? They come w/tubes of 5-6 different colors and one needs to mix and match the color needed. How close can one come to matching color? Have '87 C22 and need to match the Blue/Grey on the deck. Words of wisdom, experience(s), etc.?

much appreciated
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/11/2008 5:24 AM Pacific Time

Martha, matching color is a very individual thing. I couldn't do it on a bet, but my sister can do it in a heartbeat. If you are only looking for white, Catalina Direct has gelcoat to match 2 year groups. Your boat comes in the part # D1720 range.

At one time I needed to match a color for something I could not get to the store much less get it into their machine. My wife used my universal color fan and selected a color that was good. The fan has the formula to achieve the color using a tint base. That could give you a starting point. Most interior decorators and custom painters have these fans. They are certainly a US standard and I believe they have been adopted internationally

Not knowing exactly what type of repairs you need to make, it is difficult to offer any specific tips. The most important of all though is to do the preparation work really well. A majjor portion of product failure is surface prep; not the product
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
06/11/2008 9:49 AM Pacific Time

I've done it with moderate success. The trick is to get the color matched before adding the catalyst. You can spread some of the un-catalyzed gel coat on the existing finish to check your match, then wipe it off with a rag. I used a speck of brown added to the white to match 30 yr old white gel coat, so it's not always intuitive. Use the pigment sparingly as it effects the consistency and the cure. If you don't like the match, you can always grind it out and start over. Like everything with our boats, it's more about the journey than the destination!
David
Martha J. Long
Methuen, MA

Boat Name: N/A

Model/Year: C22 '87

Hull No. CTYH3915J687

Hailing Port: Auburn, NH
06/14/2008 9:26 AM Pacific Time

thank you for responses. surveyor called out gelcoat cracks that need to be addressed on the starboard side of the mast which is why I purchased 'kit'. Understand Catalina Direct use to sell the blue/grey color but discontinued it. guess I will have to mix/match color. Does anyone recommend using white gel coat scratch patch instead of 'kit' and then using Interlux(?) to paint it?

Much appreciated
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
06/15/2008 8:42 AM Pacific Time

Make sure you find and address the reason for the cracks. That is probably what the surveyer was refering to when he said that they needed to be "addressed". Gel coat crazing caused by expansion of underlying laminate or impact are simply cosmetic and can be simply repaired with the gel coat paste. If the cracks are caused by excessive flexing of the underlying laminate then they will be back after a short time unless the area is stiffened. The location of the cracks on your deck is of concern as it could indicate that the plywood in the deck under the mast has softened.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/16/2008 5:25 PM Pacific Time

Martha that area is known for cracking the gelcoat. The reason I believe is because there is a void in that area where the electrical wires lead from the top of the cabin to the side of the cabin between the top and the inside lining of the cabin. I have found by experience the gel coat repair will not keep unless the void is filled in.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Gelcoat Repair Kits - Color matched