Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Interior foam

Author Interior foam
Raven&Trisha
Holly Springs,Nc

Boat Name: SeaPixie

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1976??

Hull No. 7145

Hailing Port: where ever we can trailer it to!
06/22/2008 3:08 PM Pacific Time

I can understand why the foam is there as a filler for space and to keep water from enclosed areas. how ever would the foam actualy float or help keep a boat SEMI afloat. for any reasonable period of time. My reasoning is. I would like to carve out some foam from under the cockpit area and install a 8 gallon perment water tank. and possibly put in a 8 gallon gas tank same area roughly ( i understand venting and such will need to be adressed for fumes) but was unsure if the foam is part of some structurial support? or is it mearly a filler of voids?any ideas?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/23/2008 5:56 AM Pacific Time

Hi,

The foam was sold for several years as "positive flotation". When it was discovered that it was insufficient, catalina stopped adding it to boats as an option. There are many 22s without it at all. It is not structural. Removal is a pain.

Tom
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
12/11/2009 1:12 PM Pacific Time

I have done some light fiberglass work in the past on cars and aircraft. You can make an internal mold with foam lay your fiberglass on it. Once the glass is set you can trim and cut and to get rid of the foam use MEK. Warning though use a mask and gloves because MEK is nasty stuff. But, the foam will disapear like magic. Clean up may be a pain though!

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Interior foam