Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Tilting a 6 hp Johnson Engine

Author Tilting a 6 hp Johnson Engine
Rob Stewart
Colchester, VT

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 22 / 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: South Hero, Vermont
07/15/2008 10:28 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1987 Catalina 22 and the Johnson Engine that came with the boat drags in the water by about 4 inches when it is in the up position. Is there any way to tilt the engine to get it completely out of the water? Is there another solution to this problem?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/15/2008 11:49 AM Pacific Time

Rob,
You should have some sort of tilt mechanism on the outboard. When I had my 6hp Suzuki, I had to tilt the motor, turn it sideways and then lift up the motor bracket to get it to fit under the stern rail. If you know the year of your motor, you can sometimes find manuals, drawings or other tips on how to operate the controls, etc. on the web or your local library.

David
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
07/15/2008 6:27 PM Pacific Time

Hello Rob,

Many of these motors must be in forward gear in order for the tilt mechanism to operate.

Good Luck
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12712

Hailing Port: Muncie, in
07/15/2008 8:32 PM Pacific Time

Hi Rob,

There is a "tilt/run lever that releases the motor to tilt. Its a black paddle shaped knob mounted just above and to the right of the left motor mounting clamp.

One side has a curved arrow printed on it that should be up to tilt and down to run. That may not show up on an older motor. If it wont tilt now, just turn the paddle so the other side is up and grab the motor by the tilt grip at the top and back of the cover and pull forward.

There is a tilt support lever on the left side of the motor near the shift lever that has a slot in it that you engage and it locks the motor in the tilted position.

Don't run it with the tilt/run lever in the wrong position. In reverse the prop trys to climb out of the water and lots ov vibration when when going forward.

Fair winds,

Jon G
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/16/2008 7:53 PM Pacific Time

If you can get in the water and look at it from the back, you will probably see the tilt mechanism. I don't know if you trailer sail or at a mooring, but looking from the back instead of straight down will do wonders. Maybe you could get it on a trailer or at least to a dock where the water is shallow and warmer for you to wade in with the boat motor facing towards the top of the ramp. You didn't mention the age of the motor but I bet it is old enough for the lettering to have worn off on some of the levers like mine, but when you are looking at the unit facing it instead of from the top things make a lot more sense.
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Hull No. 12712

07/16/2008 8:46 PM Pacific Time

On a late 80s Johnson Yacht Twin 6 or Evinrude Sailmaster 6 motor, looking at the top, Lynn is right, no help there......but nothing at the rear will help you either.

The tilt/run lock is on the front as I described in the previous post. Simply a black plastic paddle shaped knob on the front.......one side up and it's locked so it wont come up, twist it over and it's free to tilt.

Also, the tilt support is on the left side near the shifter. You can see that from the rear but if you haven't unlocked the paddle that's on the front it, wont move.

Fair winds,

Jon Golliher
John Warden
Ball Ground, Ga.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/17/2008 7:16 AM Pacific Time

I have the salimaster 6 as well. The tilt/lock paddle on mine stopped working last season- any idea how to fix it? in either position the motor will tilt- I have to hold the motor in the water in reverse to keep it from jumpoing out of the water...

John Warden
Rob Stewart
Colchester, VT

Boat Name:

Hull No.

07/17/2008 5:34 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for all of the help. I am going to try it this weekend when I get back on the water. I will let you know how it goes.
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Hull No. 12712

07/17/2008 8:43 PM Pacific Time

Good luck Rob!

I see I goofed up with the brand names and lots of typos.....too much hurry I guess. (grin)

The Sail Master is Johnson and the Evinrude is Yacht Twin. I think exactly the same motors but different decals.

Fair winds,

Jon
Rob Stewart
Colchester, VT

Boat Name:

Hull No.

07/22/2008 10:09 AM Pacific Time

You were right! I turned the black plastic paddle and the engine tilted. Thanks again for the help.
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Hull No. 12712

07/22/2008 8:36 PM Pacific Time

Sure glad it worked out for you Rob!

Many thanks for reporting back.

Fair winds,

Jon G.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Tilting a 6 hp Johnson Engine