Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How/where does the backstay attach?

Author How/where does the backstay attach?
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/15/2008 5:38 PM Pacific Time

New owner here - getting used to the rigging and I think I've got everything straight - except - for the life of me, I can't figure out how/where the backstay attaches to the stern? There are two small eye loops on either side of the traveler rail. I don't have an adjustable backstay. Does the back stay divide into to two and attach there? There isn't a diagram of this anywhere??
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/16/2008 5:09 AM Pacific Time

Bill: The chain plate for the back stay is on the starboard side of the transom about 3 inches outboard of the end of the traveler bar. It should look like the chain plates for the side shrouds. If you have an identical one, same distance from the left side of the traveler bar, the boat had an adjustable back stay at one time. If the PO took it off, make sure the back stay is long enough to attach. Usually with a Back Stay adjuster, the actual back stay is several feet short to make up for the blocks and line of the adjuster, depending on the type used. I dont have the actual measurement of the original BS handy.
BS adjusters were optional on the original boats. Not necessary but very helpful in sail trim and adjustment, especially down wind.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/16/2008 11:17 AM Pacific Time

See if these pictures help:

http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/news/rpts/200006/200006.htm#AdjustableBackstay
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/16/2008 3:03 PM Pacific Time

Thank you!! makes much more sense now.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How/where does the backstay attach?