Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Motor Size

Author Motor Size
Julie Carlson
Greenville, NC

Boat Name: Soul Mate

Model/Year: 1981 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/08/2008 7:13 AM Pacific Time

I have not seen a discussion on this topic for several years. I have a 6 hp Yamaha 2 stroke on my Cat 22 that I want to replace. I would like to consider something quiet, with an option of starting electronically. I found a good deal on a Honda 8 hp but the weight is 108 lbs. The new Yamaha 9.9 hp is 91 lbs. Smaller Yamaha motors do not seem to have the electronic option. I realzie I will have to change the motor mount, but how will the extra weight be distributed on hull?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Julie
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
09/08/2008 8:06 AM Pacific Time

There are several boats with 8 or 9.9HP electric start motors for cruising. You will
see you lower gudgeon under the water at times and need to make sure it is sealed. Since you cannot trailer far with any motor mounted you will need help to remove and mount it if needed. You will need the a new mount and a backing
plate inside the hull. My motor is 60# 6hp 4stroke nissan so 20 more lbs can be
offset with cooler,gear or crew closer to the bow. Assuming you are buying a 4 stroke you may need less gas and save some weight there Make sure the battery wires to the starter are of adequite size. After pulling that cord to many times,I sometimes wish I had gone for the electric start.
Julie Carlson
Greenville, NC

Boat Name: Soul Mate

Model/Year: 1981 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/08/2008 10:09 AM Pacific Time

I appreciate your thoughts. Maybe the 8 hp Honda is too heavy for me to manage. Although I do not move my boat much in the trailer, why does the motor need to be removed for transport?
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
09/08/2008 2:53 PM Pacific Time

The transom of a c22 is not as strong as a motorboat transom. I have followed other c22 to cruises and watched the motor bounce a good deal. This could weaken and crack the area. A backing plate of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood on the inside of the transom would help distribute the load but not for trailering a long distance.
A 4stroke 5 or 6hp weighs @60lbs. Mine usually starts on 1 or 2 pulls once you learn its setting. I have trailered it mounted to Ft Walton Fl from Atlanta Ga using a ratchet strap to pull it tight to the stern rail base and cleat (this is an at your own risk option). A 5 or 6hp will move the boat at hull speed and use less gas and the boat will sail faster.

Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
09/13/2008 5:40 PM Pacific Time

The instruction book that came with my new-to-me 1983 Catalina 22 says that the recommended motor size is 3 to 6 HP. My boat came with a 4.5 HP Mercury 2 stroke that has been completely adequate in Keuka Lake in upstate New York. It is light enough to be handled by one reasonably fit person but a little easier with a second person to lift it on and off the mounting bracket.

Austin Cooley
Wings of the Morning
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/14/2008 10:33 AM Pacific Time

We purchased a new Mercury "Kicker" 9.9 hp with electric start and power tilt. This motor is a four stroke and weighs 85 lbs. I looked at the 8 hp Merc but couldn't get the power tilt feature. It takes both of us to mount it on the boat but once there it is wonderful. The boat does sag somewhat to the stern but like Robert said, you can distribute other things to even out the load. I would not recommend trying to race with a large motor on the stern but we are cruisers.

Greg
Ed Boochard
Kingsport, TN

Boat Name: Tai Pan

Model/Year: C22 / 1987

Hull No. 13833

Hailing Port: Muskegon, MI
12/30/2008 5:56 PM Pacific Time

I have an 1987 C22 with a 1984 Honda 7.5, original owner for both. Over the decades this has been a tremendous combination of appropriate power, reliability, fuel consumption, and battery charging capability. I have had to make compromises for the moror weight. These were to be sure and load supplies on the boat to the front, as well as raking the mast to the stearn 8". This results in a very slight weather helm, just enough for safety. During this period of time the only repairs that I have made to the Honda were to purchase a new water pump impeller. The original did not fail, I felt that at 15 years it should be replaced for reliability reasons.
Good Luck....

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Motor Size