Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Lowering the Mast beforeTrailering

Author Lowering the Mast beforeTrailering
Dwight
San Antonio, TX

Boat Name: Lone Star Girl

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14316

Hailing Port: Canyon Lake
09/09/2008 6:59 PM Pacific Time

Everthing I have read says that you do not need to remove the main stays to lower the mast...but on my '88 C-22 if I don't substaintially loosen these stays it is held tight against the deck plate and I cannot lower it untill they are loose or disconnected. Does this sound right? Is there an easy way to loosen these without disconnecting them? Does an adjustable backstay solve this problem?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
09/10/2008 6:48 AM Pacific Time

You should only need to remove the forward lowers and the forestay to lower the mast. The uppers and aft lowers can be left alone. Up to a point they will help stabilize the sway of the mast during lowering. The point at which they are no longer a help is where someone helping you can stabilize the mast.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
09/10/2008 8:23 AM Pacific Time

I agree that the upper shrouds should not need to be eased in order to lower the mast. This may insult your intellegence but be sure you are trying to lower it aft and not forward. Secondly, inspect the lower end of the mast. The bolt hole through the mast should actually be a slot near the aft lower corner. If a previous owner had the bottom of the mast rebuilt, it may be that the hole (or slot) was relocated.
Normally there is a very slight "detenting" of the mast in the full up position, that is, it takes just a little force to get it to snap over to where it will freely move aft.
Dwight
San Antonio, TX

Boat Name: Lone Star Girl

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14316

Hailing Port: Canyon Lake
09/11/2008 8:04 PM Pacific Time

R.C./Greg: Thanks for the info...I think the issue may be related to the hole or slot in the mast. I will inspect as soon as I can get back up to the lake ...but not this weekend due to "Ike".
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
09/12/2008 5:58 AM Pacific Time

MY '88 mast does not seem to want to lower unless I push harder than I think is reasonable without loosening the uppers. CD has a quick release that works great for the the uppers and forwards. It's not necessary for the forestay if you have an adjustable backstay.
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
09/12/2008 5:59 AM Pacific Time

Quick release: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=439
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
09/12/2008 7:34 AM Pacific Time

Dwight, My mast has a cut out at the bottlom aft side that goes about 1 inch along the bottom and up the aft of the mast. I know my older boat did not have this. The cut out is just enough to get the mast out of the vertical and started on the way down. Make certain you loosen the bolt through the mast and tabernacle enough to allow the mast to ride up in the slot in the tabernacle. I have a wing not on mine which makes loosening it very easy.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/13/2008 6:42 AM Pacific Time

Gentlemen,
I think the problem is that the mast is bent a little and just pushing on it is very difficult. However, if you stand in front of the mast facing aft, and pull on the lower shrouds to pull the forward bend past center, it is easy.
Also, this bend gives it stability while releasing and resetting the head stay and the lower forward shrouds. It snaps into position, and you can let go and attach the headstay and lower shrouds at your leisure.
The only help that I have needed is in raising the mast, to keep the shroud turnbuckles from being cocked at the deck. If that happens you bent the turnbuckles. Other than that the whole mast and shrouds only weigh about 60 pounds, so stradling the mast while standing on the closed hatch, gives you adequate leverage to pickit up as you walk backwards to raise it.
If the pre-bend in the mast is a bit hard to pull through; turn around the mast and push it through the hard spoot.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Lowering the Mast beforeTrailering