Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / What is the name of the part that the clew is attach to?

Author What is the name of the part that the clew is attach to?
martin spotanske
kent,wa

Boat Name: none

Model/Year: c22 1988

Hull No. 14679

Hailing Port: puget sound
09/15/2008 10:54 AM Pacific Time

I've asked this question on other websites as well as and have not got the answer that I was looking for so I can order the missing part. I am not too happy with the way it is set up right now ( does'nt look right and I'm worry about it 's holding power ). In the 88 c22 owners manual page 26 there is an illustration of the main sail reefing as well as traveler and boom vang illustrations on the following pages my question is what is the name of the part that the clew is tied to on the aft end of the boom?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
09/15/2008 11:09 AM Pacific Time

Could be the boom end cap or an outhaul depending on how your boat is rigged. Can you post a photo of your current setup somewhere? (photobucket.com or www.imageshack.us)

David
www.c22region10.org
www.c22nationals.org
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
09/16/2008 4:05 PM Pacific Time

The outhaul attaches to the clew of the mainsail and then passes through a pad eye that fits into the mainsail slot on the boom (shown in the picture). I have a padeye that is screwed onto the boom at the very end (as shown in the diagram). I took out the padeye that fits in the slot because I wanted more room to stretch the mainsail foot. I attach a 5:1 block to the outhaul and really tighten the sail. I have not had any problems with the padeye holding. Most of the tension in on the bolt rope on the bottom of the mainsail (assuming you don't have a loose-footed main.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / What is the name of the part that the clew is attach to?