Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What is it?

Author What is it?
Dale Schofield
Sandpoint, Idaho

Boat Name: Ilana Ann

Model/Year: 1976 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/26/2008 5:34 PM Pacific Time

I am a new sailor and loving it. I boughtt a C22couple of weeks ago. There is an object just to the right of the keel lockdown mounted to the hull. It looks like a piece of PVC pipe with something built inside of it. On top there is a looped handle. I have tried to remove it but it will not budge.The guy I bought it from had no idea what it is. Can anyone solve the mystery for me? Is it something I need to add to the list for regular maintenance?

Thanks, Dale
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/27/2008 12:14 AM Pacific Time

could it be a tube for the depth finder? maybe they didn't want to drill a hole in the boat and mounted the depth finder in oil inside the tube and fiberglassed it to the side or bottom of the interior keel housing? not sure why it has a handle, maybe they used a tube with a handle already on it. some people also have replaced the lower end of the mast support with tubes of stainless steel instead of wood for strength and longevity.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
09/27/2008 8:33 PM Pacific Time

I think Lynn is right about the depth sounder sender housing. If you could post a photo somewhere (photobucket.com?), that could help us.

Fair winds,
David

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What is it?