Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New C-22 Owner in Canada

Author New C-22 Owner in Canada
Jim Bertling
Glenwood Prince Edward Island

Boat Name: Friend Ship

Model/Year: 1972??

Hull No. 578

Hailing Port: West Point
09/27/2008 10:10 AM Pacific Time

Sorry to start a new thread but I could not figure out where to go for general info. I just bought my first sailboat and can't find the serial number etched anywhere. The Catalina Yatchts plate is attached and it says the serial number is 578. Does that tell me something?
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
09/27/2008 5:19 PM Pacific Time

Jim,
Look on the starboard, aft stern under the rubrail. You should find the serial no there. I'm sure someone has a link with a picture of it.

If the boat is older, the serial no will sometimes be worn, worn away or unreadable, although I have not seen that on a 22. I think Chip or someone has a full explanation of how to interpret the serial no.
Welcome and I will bet you have some great sailing up there!
Kemo Sabe
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
09/28/2008 4:20 PM Pacific Time

If your boat was manufactured before November 1, 1972, it will not have a Hull Identification Number (HIN). For an explaination of how to interpret the HIN see: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/29/2008 1:58 PM Pacific Time

sometimes if there was a HIN number it may have been painted over by a previous owner. your lucky you have the catalina tag.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/29/2008 2:01 PM Pacific Time

Oh yeah one more thing. Someone told me you can call Catalina Yachts and ask them to research the original purchase contract if you know the serial number on the Catalina tag. I've never done this and can't verify if it is true, but give them a call in Woodland Hills if you are really interested in the history.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New C-22 Owner in Canada