Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / How can I improve 130-150 degree tacking angles?

Author How can I improve 130-150 degree tacking angles?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
10/09/2008 7:45 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1978 C-22 which I have recently fitted out with brand new North sails (fully battened main + 130% hanked-on Genoa).

I bought the new sails hoping to improve on the rather disappointing tacking angles I had with the old sails, but unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of improvement with the new sails. In light winds (with a SOG of 2-4 knots) I stuggle to get a better angle that 130 degrees often as bad a 150 degrees. If I add some leeway to this, I often give up sailing upwind and use the motor. I doubt that I've ever seen better than 110-120 degrees, even in 20 knots true wind.

I've read most of the sail tuning guides, and played around with jib-car position, halyard tension (even installed an extra pulley to get this really tight), & backstay tension (tightening it up when going upwind), but still can't get a satisfactory result. I notice that that headsail starts luffing well before the mainsail.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any suggestions what I can to improve matters, or must I resign myself to zig-zagging across the bay without getting anywhere?

Thanks for your help!

John Wheeler
Sydney, Australia
David Pilcher
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Shadowfax; Recess

Model/Year: C-22, 1975; C-25, 1984

Hull No. 5459; 4142

Hailing Port: Hamilton Creek Marina
01/16/2009 11:46 AM Pacific Time

How close to the spreader tip is your genoa? For really tight close-hauled sailing, it needs to be about 2-3 " from the spreader tip. Move your traveler to windward so you can center the boom. Put 3 sets of telltales on the genoa, if not there already, so you can maximize headsail trim. The upper and lower telltales can be used to determine proper genoa sheet lead car placement (which telltale breaks first when you ease the sheet - they should break together). If you have a swing keel, make sure the keel is all the way down, then come back up about 2 turns on the winch in order to take out the slack in the keel cable. You might also consider mounting a set of inboard genoa tracks.
David Pilcher
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Shadowfax; Recess

Model/Year: C-22, 1975; C-25, 1984

Hull No. 5459; 4142

Hailing Port: Hamilton Creek Marina
01/16/2009 11:52 AM Pacific Time

Also, in very light winds, you do not want the forestay or genoa luff to be too tight. Try letting off a little on the backstay and the jib halyard
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
01/16/2009 12:10 PM Pacific Time

Make sure you are using the mainsheet traveller. It should be to weather. Your outhaul could be too loose and closing off the 'slot' between the main and genoa. You should also call your local North rep. If you bought the sails from them, they should also take some time to show you how to best use them.
All of the other tips above are good, too.

You could take pictures of your sail trim and post them for comments, too.

David

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / How can I improve 130-150 degree tacking angles?