Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / too much play with tilted motor on mount

Author too much play with tilted motor on mount
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/12/2008 10:14 AM Pacific Time

I've got a 4 stroke 4 hp Mercury outboard on my 1988 22'. On one of my last sojourns for this season, I was in 20+ knot winds in 2 - 3 foot swells. All was fine, except that with the outboard in the 'up' tilted position, the motor and mount had too much play - the tilted motor/mount would move back and forth occasisonally touching the stern pulpit. I eventually ended up putting the motor in the locked vertical position which stopped the bouncing. However, the prop was now in the water whenever I was on a starboard tack (of course, the motor was in neutral so the propeller freely spun). This was the first time I noticed this, even though I've been out in similar conditions before.

The mount seems securely mounted to the transom, and the springs seem quite strong, but I was wondering if others had experienced this problem and whether there was a fix to reduce/eliminate the play. Ideally, I'd like to keep the motor tilted so the prop is out of the water, but I don't want any 'fore-aft' movement of the mount/motor which can't be good.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/13/2008 11:35 PM Pacific Time

what kind/size mount do you have? never heard of the mount moving like that unless you did not have it locked in. the motor tilt and swivel on the motor are adjustable and depending on how they are set they can be "loose as a goose" or immovable if tightened all the way down
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/16/2008 3:42 PM Pacific Time

It's the two spring motor mount. The fore-aft play is actually not the engine itself, but the mount (with engine attached).
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
10/17/2008 3:00 PM Pacific Time

Sounds like a problem where the mount is fastened to the transom. You'd better check out to see that you have not developed a crack in the transom or on the inside transom bulkhead. Are all the bolts in place? Are the detents engaged properly?

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / too much play with tilted motor on mount