Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Motor Weight

Author Motor Weight
Dave Canestrari
Athens, AL

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1981 Catalina 22

Hull No. 10007

Hailing Port: Joe Wheeler State Park Marina
10/24/2008 6:28 AM Pacific Time

Hi, I have the opportunity to get a circa-1985 Honda 7.5HP 4-stroke to replace a Mariner 8HP 2-stroke that's giving me problems. The Mariner weighs in at 64 pounds; the Honda is 77 pounds, according to their website. Does anyone know the load rating of the engine bracket/transom mounting on my 1981 Catalina 22?
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
10/24/2008 1:16 PM Pacific Time

Dave,
Consult a West Marine catalog or call the West dealer down there in Columbia, or evenThe Boater's World at Harbison. Their catalogs will list the specific weights the motor mount can carry. I think the smaller one is up to 90 pounds, while the large, stainless steel one is in excess of 125 pounds.
If the Mariner has been doing ok, I would not be worried about the Honda, as there couldn'[t be more than 15 pounds difference in weight, if that much. I have seen the Honda on the small bracket on a C22.

BUT, if it were me, I'd spring for the new, larger stainless bracket. It won't sway athwartship and you can raise the motor easily from the water. Check out the pictures/item in the dealerships, and you'll see the big differences. Maybe someone has a used one.

In any event no matter which mount I use, I'd put some good backing plates on the inside of the transom where the motor mount bracket's bolts protrude through on the inside of the transom.

Good luck,
Larry
David Andrews
Middlebury VT

Boat Name: Winter Dream

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. CTYH2145M84C

Hailing Port: Kingsland Bay, VT
10/25/2008 3:50 AM Pacific Time

My 1984 C22, Winter Dream, has a 1984 Honda 7.5 and the heavier stainless steel bracket. It's a great set-up, and I normally operate the motor with the bracket "one notch up from the bottom". The motor itself is quiet, fuel efficient, starts easily, and provides all the power I need here on Lake Champlain. I have it serviced annually, and they tell me that mechanically, it is as good as new!

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Motor Weight