Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel Replacement

Author Swing Keel Replacement
Gary Markham
Chesapeake, VA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11129

Hailing Port:
10/29/2008 10:53 AM Pacific Time

I just purchased my first sailboat a Catalina 22 swing keel. The keel finish is falling off and there is a lot of rust.

I was wondering why it would not be a good idea to replace the existing cast iron keel with a carbon steel keel fabricated from 1 inch steel plate. Besides the obvious reasons like not haveing the foil shape the existing keel use to have. I am not going to race this boat so I am not so concerned about the additional drag. I would think the carbon steel would be easier to paint and maintain.

What are your thoughts on this?
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
10/29/2008 12:44 PM Pacific Time

I was just wondering what the advantage would be. I have removed and refinished a c22 keel by myself. There are several good articles about this proceedure. The amount of prep work would be about the same. My own
humble suggestion is to keep the original keel (making the boat more valuable
for sale later, faster and keeping racing option open). There is a new trend for
"cruiser" races, kind of just for fun and looser. I have participated in all northern gulf coast cruises since 2002 and although it is not a race everybody wants to pass somebody. If you do go with steel keep the old keel. By the way have you
thought about joining the ngcc in may 2009?
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Hull No. 8940

10/29/2008 12:49 PM Pacific Time

If you do keep the old keel or go with new, think about upgrading the system
with the kits from Catalina Direct store. keel spacers/cable/winch etc. the job
will be done and you will have more piece of mind while sailing
Gary Markham
Chesapeake, VA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11129

Hailing Port:
10/30/2008 3:21 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Robert.

What is NGCC?

The advantage to the carbon steel would be less maintenance/easeir to paint/preserve.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
10/30/2008 9:42 AM Pacific Time

I'd have to recommend chipping off the loose stuff, patching it up and slapping some paint on it. You could do that all on the trailer. That will leave a lot more time for sailing which in my opinion is more fun than reinventing the wheel (or keel, as it were). You don't want to reduce the keel weight (righting moment) and I'm not sure what it would take to get 500# of steel plate under there but I'd bet that the repair would be a lot easier and more successful. Just my opinion, of course. Lots of folks like to experiment with these boats. I enjoy sailing them.

David
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Hull No. 8940

10/30/2008 12:59 PM Pacific Time

NGCC Northern Gulf Coast Cruise starts around mother's day at Ft. Walton
and goes throught the intercoastal west to Wolf Bay Al.and back. Last year we had 25 C22s. It has become the largest national cruise but it is more like a family
reunion each year. You sail with old friends and make new ones. The water is protected and the sailing easy. Many of us sail single handed and there is always someone to lend a hand if needed. You ought to read some of the many
articles in Main Brace and Sail magazine. Hope to see you there.

p.s. There is no racing---some people just want to pass.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
10/31/2008 8:05 AM Pacific Time

Gary, I think there are a few reasons why replacing the cast iron keel with carbon steel plate is not a good idea. First, cast iron has a much higher corrosion resistance than carbon steel. I know it does not look like it when you see all the rust on an old keel but remember exhaust manifolds on cars have been made from cast iron for years for that reason. Secondly, the foil shape of the keel is important to minimize leeway and drag at the same time. A flat keel relies on angle of attack only to reduce leeway and the leading and trailing edges are less likely to retain laminar flow unless ground to an airfoil shape. That increases drag. Thirdly, steel is slightly denser than cast iron but you are planning to use a 1 inch thickness. The average thickness of the cast iron keel is at least twice that so for the same shape (in order to fit in the keel well), the weight of the steel keel is less than half as heavy as the cast iron one leading to a very tender boat.
I think you are far better off to refinish your cast iron one.

Greg Baker

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel Replacement