Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Chainplate Re-install

Author Chainplate Re-install
Frank Rich
Middle Island, NY

Boat Name: Glory Days

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1989

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Patchogue, LI
11/05/2008 12:37 PM Pacific Time

I have just completed re-bedding my life line stanchion posts. Has anyone come up with an easier way to get the nuts back on the bolts that are behind the teak moulding? (those closest to the rubrail/gunale)

Thanks
Frank
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
11/06/2008 4:59 AM Pacific Time

You might try a ratchet box end wrench with a small dab of silicon to hold the nut in place as you tighten the bolts. That's what NASCAR does to get lug nuts tightened so fast. Also you might try just a small amount of alcohol applied to the silicone to slow down its cure.
billy
Illinois

Boat Name: address unknown

Model/Year: 87 c22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Shelbyville
11/06/2008 8:21 AM Pacific Time

You may have to remove a bit of the fiberglas behind the teak rail to gain the room you need.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
11/09/2008 4:06 PM Pacific Time

I used a 1/4" socket but even that was too large for a few of the nuts. I glued the nut to a 1/4" extension and held it up against the deck while my wife turned the screw. Once the nut was started on the thread, I removed the extension and just tightened the screw. The nut wedged itself in place and i slipped a straight edge screwdriver between the flat of the nut and the moulding to finish tightening it. Also, make sure you don't tighten too much or you'll squish out the bedding compound. Leave about an 1/8th of an inch of the bedding compound between the deck and stanchion and give it time to set up (I wait a day) and then finish tightening.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
11/12/2008 2:41 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1973 C22 and had the same problem. Solved it by removing some of the fiberglass. The teak piece covers this where the fiberglass was removed.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Chainplate Re-install