Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Trailer identification

Author Trailer identification
Jeff Struck
Fergus Falls, MN

Boat Name: Marionette

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. CTYH9278M80B

Hailing Port: Pelican Lake, Otter Tail Co. Minn.
11/20/2008 10:07 AM Pacific Time

My trailer is registered on the title as an SVC with serial numbers. The trailer is galvanized so maybe the numbers have been obliterated, but I looked at every inch of the metal including the right from frame member and found nothing. I would like to know who the manufacturer was.

General discription is that it is a single axel, galv. trailer. There was a logo sticker at one time on the side parallel frames ahead of the wheel wells. The most identifying feature would be the bow strut... a double 2x2 member capped with a 2x4 'C' channel on which the winch is mounted. The verticals are not quite parallel. The bow stop is a 'u' shaped non-adjustable bracket. The bunk struts are non-adjustable on the front and rear, but the mid strut is adjustable, totaling six. Springs are slipper 'c' springs. The extendable tow pole is the primary center front member and is either out or in retained by a hitch pin.

The boat was originally sold through a dealer in tennesee and Catalina Yachts doesn't have a record of the trailer being sold with the boat. So they must have been married up later. At one point it was owned by a person in Indianapolis.

If anyone has a similar trailer with more information, I would like to know about it so I can put it into the 'ships log'.

Thanks
Jeff Struck
[email protected]
Jeff Struck
Fergus Falls, MN

Hull No. CTYH9278M80B

01/15/2009 2:29 PM Pacific Time

After some months of searching, I still haven't come up with any answers to my question. I've seen pictures of trailers that look very similar on the web, but not exactly. Since there is a void of comments, maybe the problem is that Minnesota is highly unusual in requiring licenses or titles on trailers. (Personally, the State is probably wasting their time didling with this kind of detail, but it is revenue.) Do others have titles for their trailers? Anyone with this company name?
Thanks,
Jeff
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
01/16/2009 7:34 AM Pacific Time

Louisiana requires trailers to be licensed. They also require the trailer to pass an annual inspection and receive an inspection sticker.

If you have the trailer serial number from a previous trailer registration, I would suggest you have those numbers stamped on the trailer tong near the hitch. If the serial number is absent you will likely have to get paperwork filed to decare the missing serial number and then have a serial number issued for the trailer.

Good Luck.

Jeff Struck
Fergus Falls, MN

Hull No. CTYH9278M80B

11/23/2010 12:51 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the advice: Done. Still no links to who actually made the trailer except that I have seen some look-a-likes on the web.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
11/23/2010 11:24 PM Pacific Time

In PA, all trailers have to be titled and have ID on them. If they are from out of state, and mine were, they are really anal about it... I suffered thru the pain of having to have a policeman and a licensed garage that can do inspections verify that the trailer had ID. There was a sticker but you could only read it if the moon was in the 7th house (faded). Finally, a new, metal tag w/numbers was issued to me to afix to the thing.
Another out of state trailer had NO ID, not even a sticker. A friend of mine stamped what was on the title onto the trailer which is really not kosher but other than declaring it a homemade job, supplying pix, having it inspected, this was a simpler solution. I will never understand why trailer manufacturers don't automatically stamp the VIN on them to begin with! At least in two places!
Jeff Struck
Fergus Falls, MN

Hull No. CTYH9278M80B

12/02/2013 2:43 PM Pacific Time

It is now several years hence... my solution was to borrow a letter stamp set and put the serial number off the Minnesota Title on the front right arm of the trailer as they appear on other current trailers. Since the trailer is hot-dip galvanized, hammering the letters potentially chips off the galvanized coating. I also stamped a 1-inch wide by 4-inch long piece of utility metal bar and attached it on the rear facing side of a cross member on the right half of the trailer, similar to the mounting on a Dutton-Lainson trailer I also own. I still occasionally see trailers like this on the web, but still haven't uncovered the manufacturer. The best guess I have is that SVC stands for 'Specialty Vehicle Company' but after talking with them by phone, they have never made boat trailers. Military vehicles, yes, not boat trailers.
I called other companys too and no one knows of the manufacturer.
End of Search, I guess.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Trailer identification