Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Use for stanchion holes

Author Use for stanchion holes
Frank
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/08/2004 2:55 PM Pacific Time

Looking for ideas on what sailors who have removed their stanchions have used in their place.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
03/08/2004 3:39 PM Pacific Time

epoxy
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
04/08/2004 8:36 PM Pacific Time

On stantions, I added some stock ones.... 18" and little outward slope. I hated them, and found them to be more of a safety hazard than help. They were just the right height to effectively trip me, they were ergonomically horrible to try and bend over and hold, and required squeezing leg over leg to walk to the bow. Sooo... I went to modifying them. I purchased some 1" stainless tubing and some 3/4 as well and slipped the latter into the 1" tube (for strength). I cut pieces 25" long and using a tube bender added a 15 deg. bend at the base approx. 4" up. My lifelines are now truely lifelines, they allow safe passage to the bow and do not obstruct the side deck.
I also use and extra stantion base to construct a swing mount for my marine grill. I can swing the pit on board to load or flip our dinner and then swing it back over the side to keep it out of the way.
Enjoy, Chad

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Use for stanchion holes