Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Ventilation

Author Ventilation

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/08/2004 6:34 PM Pacific Time

Would like to create ventilation in the stern. Possibly cowel vents with dorade boxes or a 5" x 10" louvered ventilator below the traveler. I already have a solar fan on the bow deck. Any suggestions?

Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/09/2004 3:29 AM Pacific Time

Have you considered installing an opening port below the starboard cockpit seat? They do this on the large boats to ventilate the aft berth.
The area below the traveler is restricted for air flow, so I don't think a louver would do much good.

P.S. Your profile doesn't indicate what year your boat is. Pre or post '85 makes a lot of difference for some items.

Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
05/14/2004 5:29 AM Pacific Time

Do the post-'85 boats still have cowl vents on the port side deck to ventilate the fuel tank storage area?

On my '80, it looks like you could install an identical set on the starboard deck to ventilate that side.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/15/2004 7:15 AM Pacific Time

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions. Chip, I have no vents on my 87.

Charlie
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/16/2004 9:37 PM Pacific Time

I believe the post 85's have a one piece gas locker sealed from the interior of the boat with a lifting exteriro hatch. My 87 did not have or need cowl vents for gas fume venting. If I remember right, you could add the vents for "general boat venting" as there was room for that.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/17/2004 10:08 AM Pacific Time

My 1977 c22 hull I have two clam shell vents on the port side. One face towards the bow and the other faces towards the stern. They are appromimately 3 1/4" wide and impossible to find. On my boat the stern facing clam shell vent has always been missing. I put a flower pot in it and stuffed it with rags to keep out water . There is no room to put a larger clam shell vent in place of the old one , any suggestions? Thanks!
Dave S.
Alexandria, Minnesota

Boat Name: Zephyr

Model/Year: 1976 C22

Hull No. 5609

Hailing Port: Alexandria, Minnesota
05/18/2004 6:16 AM Pacific Time

Bob,
I had the same problem on my '76 C22. I found some small cowl vents at U.S. Boats (name: Perko, I believe). They're not a perfect match, but close. They are designed to accomodate 3" vent hose. Hope this helps.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Ventilation