Plumbing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / how do you seal a thru-hull

Author how do you seal a thru-hull
Barry Cammack
Independence,MO.

Boat Name: LoneStar

Model/Year: 22',1994

Hull No. CTYH5336C494

Hailing Port: Lake Jacomo
12/11/2008 9:01 AM Pacific Time

I no longer use the sink in my 94 wing keel so I want to seal the thru-hull so I can forget about it.
don
eastsound wa

Boat Name: nibblet

Model/Year: 22 / 78

Hull No.

Hailing Port: eastsound wa
12/11/2008 11:33 PM Pacific Time

Well you have a few options, that i have seen
1, you could remove it for good by grinding a bevel on the in side of the hull where the thru hull is and then do the same on the outside of the hull. then fiberglass each side. hopefully this fitting is below water line other wise you will have to paint the hull.
2, you could leave the thu hull fitting in place and thread a pipe cap on the thu hull if it is threaded to the top if it is a barbed fitting you will want to replace it.
good luck
Scott
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Promiseland

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel/1985

Hull No. 12982

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Bay, Portland OR
12/27/2008 3:10 PM Pacific Time

I'm not sure about the new boats, but my boat has a slide out galley and the sink drains to the same thru-hull that the cockpit drains use. A good rain can sink a boat if the cockpit drains don't work and there aren't aft scuppers.

I think the best thing to do,(this should be done by a professional unless you're handy with fiberglass work) is to cut out the thru-hull completely and repair the resulting hole in the hull. This way there is no chance a sealed or plugged thru-hull will be forgotten about and then eventually fail, or start leaking at some point in the future (and it probably eventually will).

My C22 used to have a discharge thru-hull for my head, which is now illegal. I had a local boat yard cut it out and repair it for me. I can't even tell where it used to be now and never have to worry about it failing or leaking.

Plumbing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / how do you seal a thru-hull