Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Mainsail Rigging

Author Mainsail Rigging
Gary Markham
Chesapeake, VA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11129

Hailing Port:
12/19/2008 3:48 AM Pacific Time

I recently bought a 1982 catalina 22, and I hoisted the mainsail for the first time. I am not sure how to attach/rig the clew to the end of the boom. My mainsail has the standard boltrope that slides in the boom track.

Does anyone have some detailed pictures of how this?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
12/19/2008 9:32 AM Pacific Time

Gary,
I have a photo of the aft end of my boom but it's rigged for an internal outhaul and a flattener. The blue is the outhaul and the yellow is the flattener. The upper bail has since been removed as it didn't work well as a flattener attachment point.
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/Details/DSCF1978
You may be able to recognize the original setup though. Essentially, a line is tied to the clew, runs in the groove in the boom cap to a cleat (vee, jam or horn) on the underside of the boom. That setup doesn't allow for much adjustment while under sail, but most cruiser/day sailors just leave it at a medium tight setting and use other adjustments (reefing, etc.) to depower the sail.

Mine has a 6:1 purchase in the boom, exits the boom under the tack fitting and is run aft along the cabin top so as to be adjustable under sail.

Hope that helps!
David
Gary Markham
Chesapeake, VA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11129

Hailing Port:
12/21/2008 12:32 AM Pacific Time

Thanks David.

I took the time to look at all your pics. There is a lot of good information in there.

I will probably paint my boat next summer. Did you paint your decks as well as the sides and bottom?

Did you roll/brush the paint?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
12/21/2008 7:53 PM Pacific Time

Gary,
I haven't painted the decks, but they're due soon. The topsides was rolled and tipped with a good brush. It's Petit EasyPoxy, a 'one part epoxy' whatever that is. It's pretty soft stuff. The bottom is two part epoxy which was rolled, tipped and wet sanded to 800/1000. That's Performance Epoxy by Interlux. Nice stuff!
David

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Mainsail Rigging