Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / sport 22 Mast Step Replacement

Author sport 22 Mast Step Replacement
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Boat Name: A Little Class

Model/Year: 2006 Catalina Sport

Hull No. 15637

Hailing Port: Hunington Lake
02/11/2009 7:15 PM Pacific Time

While replacing my mast step with the upgraded one from CD I found that the mast post was mis-alined. It appears that when they drilled the two 1/4 holes to secure the mast holder they were to far forward with relationship to the post base. the installer shoved the top of the post forward (3/4") to match the holes. I corrected the problem by tapping a 1/4-20 hole into the post area (stainless steel post) and a new hole aft for the 2nd bolt. Catalina used a 21/2" or so wood beam across the mast area, that a lot of wood that can compress over time. So I drilled 1/2 holes and added stainless steel Sch. 40 tubing between the step and the post . This will prevent any compression and I epoxied the tubeswith beding compound to prevent leaking. The forward bolted directly in and used a nut aft
Markus T
Chino Hills, CA

Boat Name: Aidyl

Model/Year: catalina 22 / 1973

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/12/2009 6:50 AM Pacific Time

I was thinking of doing the opposite, moving my mast forward, due to the strong weather helm my 72' catalina has.
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Hull No. 15637

02/13/2009 2:32 PM Pacific Time

Hi there Markus , I did not move the mast step aft , it is in the original placement. However the mast post , specificly the top, was moved aft to take the forward lean out . To be able to use the original bolt holes and keep the post inline I drilled new holes in the post . Because the forward hole was over the post (SS Pipe) I had to tap it .Now the mast , step, and post are at 0 degrees with no deflection . This has got to be good from a geometeric point of view. I had read all of the bits about cabin roofs rotting out so I took precautions by adding S.S. tubing to prevent compression . I hope there is not a problem with being to rigid as there now zero flexablity from mast to keel.
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Hull No. 15637

02/14/2009 7:09 PM Pacific Time

Found my water leak , Catalina drilled the hole for the mast light plug ,missed the wire and longgated the hole to found the wire. They then stuffed scrap boat wire into the hole and did a piss poor job filling the caveren with silicone. The entire area around the mast post and deck plug sloppy wet and starting to rot . A 2007 sport with cabin deck rot , it isn't right. I'm airing out the area and of coarse they did not leave any extra length in the wire to properly connect a new CD deck plug. So much for buying a brand new boat so I would not have problems.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
02/16/2009 10:43 AM Pacific Time

Ed, have you considered calling Catalina Yachts and speak with Frank Butler about this problem. Since you bought the boat new, he/they may do something. Your problem didn't happen overnight.
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Hull No. 15637

02/16/2009 7:07 PM Pacific Time

Hello Peter , I have contacted Frank about the mast post problem but he is unaware of how bad the plug hole is . The is my second 22 sport , the first 06 leaked so bad that they cut the floor around the swing keel trunk to try to find and repair the leak. The floor had no integrity so Frank graciously replaced my 22 . It also had a mystery leak but they were able to build floor panels to access the leak area . Catalina has been exemplary in their service and I know it been production problems. I've given up on things like the rudder splitting on both boats so I shelled out $700 for a CD kick-up rudder but this water leak into the deck with the amount of space there is, scares me. It one thing to have years of service its another thing to have this kind of problems so early on
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
02/16/2009 7:41 PM Pacific Time

Ed-

On my 2006 Sport, I had similar issues.

First, regarding the electrical plug/plate on the deck, I didn't like the idea that this might someday be a source of moisture in the deck (being located so close to the mast), so I had the dealer remove the electric plug/deck plate, epoxy the hole, then add gelcoat to match the rest the deck.

Second, on the starboard side of boat, the factory accidentally drilled hole from where the inboard track is and into the electrical panel area. So got that sealed after finding the leak.

Third, Bow Pulpit was not tighly sealed to the deck...so it leaked for a few weeks until I found the source...a loose nut.

Forth, when CY installed the starboard slide-track for the main hatch, they forgot to install the forward screw from inside the cabin to pin down the forward part of the slide-track. So water leaked until I found the source.

Fifth, the swing keel vibrated...so had to add two shims.

Despite these problems, I love the Sport! Sails nice, very comfortable. Considering I bought the boat new for $10.5K, I really can't complain. She will last me at least 30 years with minimal maintenance and future investment. Plus, these boats are now selling new for well over $20K (in Sailaway package).

ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Hull No. 15637

02/17/2009 9:20 PM Pacific Time

Rich , thank you , maybe I expected to much from a new boat. I assumed that boats developed problems with time and or neglect and if I started with new one I would not have any. My boat is a poster child for Catalina Direct , not with gimmicks but with well thought out components proven over time. I will double check these areas and soon I will have a sound boat that will be around 30 years. I need the plug for night sailing so I'll make good connections, epoxy the void and hope for the best.
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
02/18/2009 3:57 AM Pacific Time

Ed-

Do you recall the hull number of your first Sport, the one that leaked bad and was returned to the factory?

Here is another item to look for...inside the cabin, take a look at the forward edge of both windows for cracking. In my boat, a 2" crack or void developed. No leak.

I filled the void with epoxy. Then covered with beige color gelcoat - the type you can by at a boat retail store. Lightly sanded, and you cannot even tell there was crack or void.

I race my boat, sometimes hard, so I think the crack/void resulted due to flexing of deck.

When they designed the Sport, there was no prototype. And actually, the first Sport build (#15540) leaked water on its first sail on Lake Lanier.

When you put the purchase price of a new Sport in perspective, there is no other boat in the 22 foot range that comes close to the price.

I am glad Frank Butler took care of you when the problem was excessive. The factory doesn't make much money on these boats.

Good luck.
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Hull No. 15637

02/18/2009 8:04 PM Pacific Time

My new sail number is 15637, as I read your response I realized that my old number was still listed. Hey Rich I would like to tell about one great thing I did for my trailer. I trailer a lot and I was worried about bunks not having enough cushion so I added a vinyl bunk pad . It fits over the existing bunks , held in place with SS screws on the sides of the bunk. Four 3/4 inch hollow tubes run the length of each bunk providing a cushion to help with the long drives. I found the product in the Overtons catalog , a bit pricey but if you travel a lot it's worth it . And so you know I paid 20k for mine but that's Ca. for you. Steped the mast this evening with the help of my wife , going check the tensions and set up my reefing lines. Got a trip planned to Catalina Island when the weather settles. Regards Ed

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / sport 22 Mast Step Replacement