Mooring / Docking

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / mooring light idea ...

Author mooring light idea ...
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: 1981 C-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
03/01/2009 6:06 PM Pacific Time

Hi everybody.

Well this has probably been thought of before but I will resubmit. I was in WalMart today perusing through the garden department and I discovered a LED solar powered "garden walk light" that would EASILY fit atop a C-22 mast. They are only $4 each so I got one to try out atop my mast. It is supposed to stay illuminated for up to 8 hours per charge.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
03/01/2009 7:38 PM Pacific Time

It's likely not bright enough to be seen very far away or in inclement weather. You may want to have a look a the COLREGS and compare your visibility with what's required. LEDs are a great way to save power and there are a few folks who have replaced many of their onboard lights with them. Check our Super Bright LEDs website.

David
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
03/02/2009 4:24 PM Pacific Time

I have replaced the nav lights with the LED ones but they are about $50 each. I consider them worth it because they barely use batt. elec. compared to the old type bulbs and w/18 LEDs lit up they are rather bright.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1574
They can be bought in all white or in the bi-color for the bow. If you have the AquaSignal 25 bicolor bow nav light already, you need the bicolor LED for it to work correctly.

Where the standard garden light is concerned they usually have one or two LEDs the solar panels and elec. connections aren't durable. Also their single battery is a weak rechargeable that doesn't last the night. They can help to light things up some but they aren't going too cut it.

Mooring / Docking
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / mooring light idea ...