Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Gulf Coast

Author Gulf Coast
Chris Walden
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Stray Cat

Model/Year: Cat22 1981

Hull No. 9888

Hailing Port: Lanier
03/10/2004 6:41 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone elaborate on the sailing conditions in lower Mobile Bay? I've checked Clairborne's book and tried searching on the web, but I only get spotty descriptions..and I'm looking for the "big picture." Basically, if I'm heading down to Dauphin Island for a little vacation, is it worth trailering my Cat22 down to keep at a marina and do some daysailing (won't be staying onboard since we're renting a house with the inlaws)? I've been spoiled by some great sailing around the Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor areas of FL; I'm worried that, around Dauphin, I'll be following little channels all the time (i.e., motoring) and not have enough time in a day to get "somewhere" and back.

Maybe I should just rent a beach sailboat, maybe a Sunfish or Hobie while I'm down there?

Chris
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
03/14/2004 4:34 PM Pacific Time

Take your sailboat with you. There's good sailing on Mobile Bay. My wife is from Mobile and we are non-resident members of Mobile Yacht Club. I do several races a year with my brothers in law on the bay. One has a 26' Ranger and the other has a house on Dauphin Island.

Get a good chart of the bay, there's a few shallow spots but with a swing keel C-22, you shouldn't have any problems. You should have pretty good wind this time of year. I'm guessing 8-12 mph.

I wish I could tell you more about the bay and places to go, but it's not my home waters so I'm not that familiar with it. I suggest giving the Mobile Yacht Club a call. Someone there will be happy to give you more information.

While you're there keep your eyes open for a Ranger 26 with a red hull named "Tony's Toy Too". The owner is one of my brothers in law, Rick Haidt.

The next time I'll be in Mobile is mid-April for the Dauphin Island Regatta. It's a race from the middle of the bay to Dauphin Island on a Saturday, raft up for the night and race back on Sunday. It usually has about 300 boats participate with only three starts. Lot's of fun at the start line.

Have fun in on Mobile Bay.
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
04/15/2004 7:31 PM Pacific Time

I expect most of y'all already know, but registration for the C22 Northern Gulf Coast Cruise is still open till the end of April. Details and registration form can be found at
http://members.cox.net/c22fleet77/ (the official 2004 NGCC website). We've got about 20 C22's so far this year. If you need help or have any questions, I can be contacted by email at C2212759 at (@) aol.com
Fair Winds-
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/24/2004 12:12 PM Pacific Time

I know this is long after the fact, but the July 2004 issue of sail Magazine has an article on Mobile Bay.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/23/2005 6:59 PM Pacific Time

my question is about the islands off Floridas West Coast to those that live in Florida on my side of the state..
which ones are dogs still aloud to come ashore?
the areas im inquireing about are above the bay area way north of Pinellas county northern .. i live on the line of Pasco and Hernando and have dogs being fitted with life jakets just itching to go sailing.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Gulf Coast