Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Newer keel cable of 316 SS / 2009

Author Newer keel cable of 316 SS / 2009
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/21/2009 11:47 AM Pacific Time

Hi all,
I have just received the new CD keel cable of 316 SS and I've tried to contact Lowell at CD about it but tech support communication is difficult to non-existant.

My issue (Besides ordering the sale price of the kit at a discount of $18.92 and thin finding that I was charged the full price on my Visa) is about this newer cable of 316 SS.
I understand from the web page:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1623
that the cable is now from a less corrosion-prone type of SS but what they didn't say is that not only is this 316 SS not as capable of carrying the same load as the older 304 SS cables but that they also seem to have made it from a thinner diameter stranded wire.
As a freshwater sailor, I am rather concerned because corrosion isn't my problem with my keel cable. Abrasion is my concern where it meets with the turning ball or the winch.
My concern with this newer cable is that since it's the next size thinner (5/32" instead of the older 304 at 3/16" -I believe) it may have a breaking strength that is fairly less. According to one web site that sells the the older 304 SS 3/16 cable is good for 3700 lbs. and the 5/32 316 is good for 2000 lbs.of weight.
anybody else notice this?
~bilbo
N.E. Ohio
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
04/22/2009 6:27 AM Pacific Time

Bilbo, I don't think breaking strength is the issue since the keel weighs appx. 700 lbs. and is hinged on a pin so that it acts as a lever reducing the lifting load significantly. The real issue as you noted is abrasion and thickness may not be of great value here as you are not going to let the cable wear through. Rather, the cable is shot when you get significant fish-hooking of the cable. I'm not sure and am only surmising that if the thinner cable is made of more flexible material and is less able to corrode, then it may have an advantage, especially in salt water. In your case it is just a matter of abrasion resistance more than strength as it is plenty strong enough. I sailed my first boat in salt water and when I replaced the cable I lathered it with marine bearing grease and that seemed to help. Maybe Lowell will catch this post and reply to it.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/22/2009 6:56 PM Pacific Time

Just for the record. CD has called me and they promised to send a replacement cable out that has the correct specs.

Thanks CD,
~bilbo
N.E. Ohio

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Newer keel cable of 316 SS / 2009