Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom gooseneck?

Author Boom gooseneck?
Bojan Boskovski
Skopje, Macedonia

Boat Name: Karpa

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ohrid, Macedonia
05/04/2009 1:14 PM Pacific Time

I am relativly new to sailing and I am still learnig about rigging and sail trim.

When I try to hoist the mainsail and when it reaches the top under the pressure in the same time I am lifting the boom up.
I was wandering if the boom should be tied down trough the small hole on the goose neck.

I tied a rope trough the hole and cleat it on the mast cleat under the boom, It seems that i put a preassure on the main like never before!?

Please some advice on boom and main, though I have a boom vang!

Thanks
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/04/2009 11:56 PM Pacific Time

You're on the right track. Don't tie the line to the cleat until after you raise the about two inches from the top of the mast. Then cleat the line and raise the sail some more. Watch the front edge of the sail (luff) until the wrinkles start to disappear and then stop raising the sail, so you don't over tighten it (bad). If the wind picks up when sailing and you see more wrinkles along the luff of the sail, either use a cunningham to flatten the sail, or luff the sail to take pressure off the sail, and take another pull on the main halyard till the wrinkles disappear. After awhile, you will know where the line that cleats down the boom needs to be set for an average wind condition. If you use a winch, be carefull not to overtighten. Remember, if in doubt let it out. That goes for sail position as well as tensioning your halyards and other running rigging. Racers use marking tape at the top of the mast and bottom near the boom to set their sails to C22 racing rules.
LYDIE Baillie
INDIAN ROCKS BEACH, Florida

Boat Name: D'Artagnan

Model/Year: C22 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Brest , France
09/11/2021 5:13 AM Pacific Time

Hi everyone. It's great to find a forum of C22 owners.
Sorry if this is out of place, but posting a new topic seems to be a feat I cannot accomplish, Ivalid ID is all I get
My Catalina 22 from 1976 is getting some needed maintenance. The gooseneck fitting has been abit awry for years and I have purchased the Catalina Direct complete gooseneck refit to replace it. CD says to use the old holes as a pattern for drilling the new ones on the gooseneck. That's fine, but how do you remove the old gooseneck screws on the boom?
Has anyone succeeded in removing the 2 screws? The philips head screws are not moving. despite various screwdriver tries, hammer banging to loosen, sawing a slot and using a flathead screwdriver, many w40 soaks and more tries, random passerby muscle men breaking off screwdriver heads to help out.. but no luck. .
Next steps?
Has anyone drilled out the screws? Or do you just cut off the boom end level with the old screws. Or what?
Thank in advance for sharing any real experience.

Lydie, D'Artagnan
larry scarborough
Corpus Christi, TX

Boat Name: Jole Blon

Model/Year: Catalina30TR MkII 1984

Hull No. 3414

Hailing Port: Corpus Christi TX
09/11/2021 5:13 AM Pacific Time

Hi everyone. It's great to find a forum of C22 owners.
Sorry if this is out of place, but posting a new topic seems to be a feat I cannot accomplish, Ivalid ID is all I get
My Catalina 22 from 1976 is getting some needed maintenance. The gooseneck fitting has been abit awry for years and I have purchased the Catalina Direct complete gooseneck refit to replace it. CD says to use the old holes as a pattern for drilling the new ones on the gooseneck. That's fine, but how do you remove the old gooseneck screws on the boom?
Has anyone succeeded in removing the 2 screws? The philips head screws are not moving. despite various screwdriver tries, hammer banging to loosen, sawing a slot and using a flathead screwdriver, many w40 soaks and more tries, random passerby muscle men breaking off screwdriver heads to help out.. but no luck. .
Next steps?
Has anyone drilled out the screws? Or do you just cut off the boom end level with the old screws. Or what?
Thank in advance for sharing any real experience.

Lydie, D'Artagnan

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom gooseneck?