Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast climbing

Author Mast climbing
Bojan Boskovski
Skopje, Macedonia

Boat Name: Karpa

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ohrid, Macedonia
05/18/2009 10:41 AM Pacific Time

Anyone tried to climb the mast on C22?

I am tired of lowering the mast I need to change a light on a deck light.

Please help

Bojan
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
05/18/2009 11:31 AM Pacific Time

Depending on your weight, whether to boat is trailered or moored, the age of your halyards, it can be possible, as well as inadvisable, to climb the mast or be hoisted aloft. There are plenty of factors to consider and it would hard to say which is the right thing to do.

Another option for you is to use an extension ladder on the fordeck w/ a line to keep the top of the ladder secured to the mast. I've seen it done and it's not very seamanlike, but pretty darn safe on a trailer. Unstepping the mast may be a pain, but it rarely results in hospital time. :-)

David
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
05/18/2009 1:27 PM Pacific Time

You might also see if there are any bridges nearby that are the right height to pull up alongside.
Alan Chillers
Cocoa Beach

Boat Name: Lo" Key

Model/Year: 22 catalina/1984

Hull No. 12227

Hailing Port: Space Coast
05/19/2009 3:19 AM Pacific Time

A light person with a harness riged to the main halyard but good stays is a must
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/19/2009 4:37 AM Pacific Time

You can go up in a bos'sun chair, their is no problem of weight tipping the boat. Recognize the force of the wind that it takes to heel the boat.
A bos'son chair is more comfortable if you use a board for a seat, cloth or rope will get very uncomfortable because of the binding of your own weight.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast climbing