Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Best engine for Cat 22?

Author Best engine for Cat 22?
Mara Bohman
6428 NE 185 st

Boat Name: Catalina

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Kenmore, WA
06/04/2009 8:44 AM Pacific Time

We purchased a 1975 Catalina 22 swingkeel. We are looking at outboard motors and are thinking the Yamaha 6hp, 4hp or the Honda 5. Any thoughts on those? We will be on an inland lake, no long distance motoring in currents. Any other engines that you recommend. I am just wondering what most cat 22 users have.
Thanks
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
06/04/2009 10:14 AM Pacific Time

Mara,
I'd recommend the 4hp for your situation. I use a 4 on SF Bay and only when it gets very choppy or with big currents, am I wishing for something more. Usually its faster to sail in those circumstances and heading for areas of less current.

A 2 cycle motor is lighter and easier to handle. A light weight motor will also keep the stern out of the water which makes for better sailing. You could consider an electric trolling motor, as well.

David
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
06/04/2009 2:18 PM Pacific Time

If you plan to cruise anywhere else go ahead and get a 5 or 6 hp 4 stroke.
they come with forward neutral and reverse which makes docking easier
If you just race/or cruise on your lake get a 3.5 hp 4 stroke (weight is 40+- lbs).
If you have a way to stay charged an electric will do fine and be less hassle.
I don't like to pull more than twice so I stick with 4 stroke (i have 2 tohatsu 1 6hp
1 4hp same motor different carbs.) On 4 strokes keep the gas clean and fresh
the jets are veeerrry small and will clog. Other than water impellers (replaced each year normal maint.) and cleaning the carb (see mainbrace article from Ted
Mcgee national comodore). 4hp with internal tank is also good. Older 2 strokes are ok but usually harder to start and some lakes are starting to band them.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
06/05/2009 1:25 PM Pacific Time

I have a '99 Yamaha 2-stroke that works great and I had the same model year boat you have and used a 4.5 Johnson 2-stroke in Biscayne Bay and that worked fine. $-strokes are better engines but they are pricier and heavier. My 6 is heavy enough. If you run out the gas from the carb each time you dock, you will not have any carburetor problems and if you run in salt water, make sure to flush the engine well with fresh water to avoid salt buildup in the cylinder jackets.

IMPORTANT-Buy a Long Shaft motor, whichever one you buy!
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
06/05/2009 2:21 PM Pacific Time

Howard makes some great points worth repeating:
quote: If you run out the gas from the carb each time you dock, you will not have any carburetor problems and if you run in salt water, make sure to flush the engine well with fresh water to avoid salt buildup in the cylinder jackets.

IMPORTANT-Buy a Long Shaft motor, whichever one you buy!
I flush and run my carb out of my Evinrude 4hp every time (saltwater use) and it fires up on the 1st or 2nd pull every time!
David
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
06/06/2009 10:06 AM Pacific Time

another point to consider if you are buying a new motor besides HP. Look for the right propeller for a sailboat. Sometimes called a "Power Prop" because they generate a bit more thrust at wide open throttle measurement. Since our boats are essentially limited to about 6 kts under motor, you dont need the speed. Having a motor that allows you to make 5+ kts without being at WOT will also contribute to quieter motoring and easy of maneuvering.

Mike
Ken
Media, Pa

Boat Name: Pending

Model/Year: 1978 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Wallenpaupack Pa,
09/16/2013 6:27 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone tell me more about a power prop
I have a 1978 Catalina 22 w/ Nissan 3.5A 2 stroke
I don't want to go with a heavier motor but would like to get as much out of this as possable

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Best engine for Cat 22?