Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Size of wood dowel rudder shear pin-

Author Size of wood dowel rudder shear pin-
Tom

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/10/2009 6:36 AM Pacific Time

What is the ideal diameter of wood dowel to use as a shear pin on a C22 swing keel?

Tom
1987 C22 Swing Keel-
Lake Allatoona, GA
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/11/2009 8:19 AM Pacific Time

i have a fixed rudder but don't recall a wooden shear pin on my friends kickup rudder. where is the pin located?
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
06/11/2009 10:17 AM Pacific Time

I have a kickup on my c22 but I don't use a dowel. The ones I have seen on the northern gulf coast cruise use a 1/4 or 5/16 dowel cut so it sticks out 1" on either side and a rubberband streched around from one side to the other to hold the dowel in place. The dowel does not need to be to thick so it will break away easy. The people on the cruise had several pins and rubber bands and some tie a string to one end of the dowel and rubber band so it can be pulled out quickly when needed.
David Bergevin
Hixson, TN

Boat Name: BADAM

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12454

Hailing Port: Chicamauga Lake
06/12/2009 2:42 AM Pacific Time

I use 1/4" and changed to fiberglass to break off vs. the wood dowel that just absorbs water and becomes difficult to remove when desired.
Pat Noonan
Fairhope, Al

Boat Name: Blue Dog

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Fairhope, Al
07/24/2009 3:19 AM Pacific Time

someone said a pencil would do... if you want to really make it so the rudder won't kick up use a wedge of wood in the slot at the aft edge of the rudder where there is a spce when the rudder is in down position. Will mean you have a fixed rudder unless you pull the wedge out.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Size of wood dowel rudder shear pin-