Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Lewmar Spinlock

Author Lewmar Spinlock
John
Harnett

Boat Name: Vindöga

Model/Year: C22/1987

Hull No. 14144

Hailing Port: Wayzata, MN
07/01/2009 11:50 AM Pacific Time

I just purchased a 1987 C22. The port handle on the port "Lewmar Spinlock" double rope clutch (for leading halyards and control lines aft to the cockpit) is broken off. Catalina referred me to Lewmar. Lewmar referred me to Spinlock, and Spinlock hasn't responded to my messages. Are there replacement handles available? From whom? Are the "Spinlock XA" series handles compatible with the "Lewmar Spinlock" handles. Thanks for your help.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/01/2009 1:20 PM Pacific Time

John,
You may want to call West Marine tech support. As a dealer, they may have that info. Mauri Pro Sailing may be another good source of support.

David
John
Harnett

Hull No. 14144

07/07/2009 7:03 AM Pacific Time

David
Thanks for the advice. Rod at MauriProSailing.com is looking into my problem now that I've sent him a picture of the clutch I have.
John
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/07/2009 10:22 AM Pacific Time

John,
Glad to hear it. Spinlock was pretty responsive to my issue. I spoke to a mfr rep at a boat show a few years back and had a no charge replacement shipped to me shortly. Good luck!

David
John
Harnett

Hull No. 14144

07/17/2009 7:24 PM Pacific Time

Well, I finally solved my problem. After sending Mauri photos of my Lewmar Spinlock, their support person didn't respond. However I race with a friend in a Mirage 24, and he has the Spinlock XA clutches. I compared my broken Lewmar Spinlock handle with his handles, and it looked externally identical. I ordered a replacement XA handle, and when it arrived i was pleased to find it really did look identical right down to the mold marks (except that it is bright black as compared to my other grey faded handles). On disassembly,installation reassembly and rebedding, it works. So I can finally conclude, what others have probably known all along, that the handles are identical.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/18/2009 10:50 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for sharing your result. I once owned and sailed C22 #14644 a 1987 wing keel model.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Lewmar Spinlock