Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Fishtailing trailor

Author Fishtailing trailor
John Hillier
Kilgore, Texas

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22 69 or 70

Hull No. 56

Hailing Port: Tyler, Texas
07/15/2009 8:24 AM Pacific Time

My boat is one of the lighter Catalina 22's and is on it's original trailor. It tends to fishtail like crazy when going at highway speeds with curves. The only significant weight in the stern is a 40 # motor. Any suggestions?? (espesially from Gene Ferguson).
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/15/2009 10:57 AM Pacific Time

You need more tongue weight. It should be 10% of the trailer weight or near 300#. If you can lift your tongue by hand, it's likely too light. Shift the boat forward a few inches, load all your gear in the bow of the boat or move the axle aft.

David
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
07/15/2009 1:41 PM Pacific Time

I have the same problem. The tongue is light enough to pick up by hand and the boat has done several transom stands when I forget to put a block under the trailer. I am going to take an old scale and try to move the boat forward until the tongue weight is 200+. When I travel I remove the motor 60lbs forward to the cockpit floor. The transom is not really made to support the motor while traveling.
I am going to mount the spare tire on the winch support to add a few more pounds. On my 1986 new style I moved the 2 group 27 batteries under the companion way where the cooler used to be.Check the hitch ratings on the vehicle. Just a couple of ideas to add to David's good suggestions.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
07/15/2009 2:45 PM Pacific Time

It doesn't take much weight shifted from the back to the front of the boat to make a big difference. I found that just keeping the rudder forward in the cabin instead of the cockpit helped.
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
07/16/2009 4:41 AM Pacific Time

My guess is that over the years a lot of trailers have been set up with the boat as far aft as possible on the trailer in order to make launching just a little bit easier. Moving the boat forward should take care of the problem. The idea of about 300 pounds tongue weight sounds good.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
07/16/2009 6:43 AM Pacific Time

Another option that may be easier than moving the boat forward would be to move the axle(s) backward. Or, like me you might have to do both to get the tounge weight up. I agree not to leave the motor on the transom while traveling. My 4 hp Mariner goes in the back of my Explorer.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/16/2009 2:35 PM Pacific Time

Moving the axle can solve the problem without changing the bunk angle for launching the boat. Also, if you move the boat forward on the bunks you will probably have to move the forward upright that the boat nose stops against. I would try moving the axle. Also as stated try to get as much or your gear weight forward on the trailer. Some attach a small box for storing their motor on the front of the trailer, under the boat, and also mount their spare tire there for the tongue weight. Good Luck and be sure to not drive to fast!
billy
Illinois

Boat Name: address unknown

Model/Year: 87 c22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Shelbyville
07/21/2009 8:16 AM Pacific Time

I agree with moving the axle...an inch makes a very big difference and easier to do than other adjustments.
Rick White
Woodstock,On.

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13176

Hailing Port:
11/16/2009 1:22 AM Pacific Time

I welded a 6" extension onto the tongue so that our van door would clear the winch to open and it pulled like a dream after that. I was not intending to solve that problem as I don't travel with the boat far but that worked very well.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Fishtailing trailor