Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom out hull

Author Boom out hull

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/14/2004 9:18 AM Pacific Time

There sar several different types of out haul designs for the boom. I have purchsed a North Sail Racing main with one reefing point. I need some input as to the best out haul I should install for this sail. Right now I have only got a line reaching around the boom end and tied off to a cleat. Do I need more and why?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/19/2004 9:36 PM Pacific Time

Bob, if you intend to race, especially if you are gutsy and sail in more than15-20 knots, I would say that it would be an asset to have an outhaul that can be pulled out easily. The reason is that the time to pull the outhaul out is when it has picked and you have an excessive amount of weather helm and you need to flatten the sail to take the drive out it. That pushes the center of effort of the sail forward, reducing the lever arm of the forces that are pushing the bow up into the wind----weather helm.
If you are just going to sail in moderate air and have time to make the adjustment, then the single part rig is just fine. If you need more than you can get with just a straight pull on the line, then you can 'swig-off' to get the extra inch or two needed to flatten the sail. Swigging-off is done by holding the line in the cleat and pulling the line out from the boom, as you let it go back in, pull the slack out of it into the cleat.
If you are going to race you will be adjusting the outhaul often and a 4 or 8 part system in the boom makes the adjustment easy, and that gives you control as to how much.
Sorry to be so long winded. Hope it helps,
Al Ge

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/22/2004 9:42 AM Pacific Time

Hey Al and group,
The "swig-off" term you used is more commonly called sweating. In use several hundred years ago in the British Navy. Sweat the outhaul or sheet, or sweating the sheet, or to sweat up the sheet.
Chuck
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/23/2004 6:12 AM Pacific Time

Chuck, thanks for the info. I learned the term back in the '50's while crewing on a 67' schooner that had NO winches. But I'm sure words change as with 'Sphinx's acre', refering to a very large sail on 'Sphinx' in England. It has degenerated into spinnaker.
More at [email protected]
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
03/24/2004 6:10 AM Pacific Time

I served in the Royal Navy and also went to naval prep school and can assure you that the term" sweat "is still currently used
Rico Weber
Meridian, ID

Boat Name: Jubilation

Model/Year: Catalina 22 SK, 1975

Hull No. 4982

Hailing Port: Rico's Bay
04/24/2006 11:37 AM Pacific Time

Just had our first race this last weekend. I installed a 4:1 out haul a couple of days before the race. Loved it! We were sailing in 15-20 knot winds. Made a significant difference in the ability to change the sail shape and control conditions. I was very surprised at how much difference it made. I highly recommend installing an out haul even if you do not race.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom out hull