Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel retrofitted to a Wing Keel

Author Swing Keel retrofitted to a Wing Keel
Dan Oliver
Costa Mesa, CA

Boat Name: Eloise

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1971

Hull No. 823

Hailing Port: Wilmington, CA
08/01/2009 2:32 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone retrofitted their swing keel to a wing keel? My boat is in the water all the time and after reading many posts on replacing and maintaining the swing mechanism is an older cat 22 (hull 823) able to be converted? hope someone can assist this newbie..... thanks, Dano
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/02/2009 4:21 PM Pacific Time

I think I remember an old post where this was brought up. If I recall correctly, Gerry Douglas the Catalina Yacht Engineer would not recommend this, and would not sell you a wing keel. Can't remember why though. I'm sure if you contacted the builder, Catalina Yachts and asked to speak to someone in the Engineering Department, they could give you the correct (safe) answer on this. I have found when calling Catalina Yachts and telling them I am a owner and give them my hull number and boat identification number they are very good about answering this kind of question. Heck, even sometimes Frank Butler may return your call!
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
08/03/2009 8:05 AM Pacific Time

Dan, your boat, with it's low hull number, is going to be very desirable to one of the many racers in this class. She is worth much more with the swing keel than she would be with a wing. You would probably come out ahead selling her and buying a used wing keel boat - as I said your boat has a desirable hull number to racers - The retrofit you are refering to has been done. I have seen the pictures. But it is an extremely difficult and expensive
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/03/2009 10:04 AM Pacific Time

Dan,
Glenn and Lynn make good points. Also, if your boat is in the water, I'd imagine you haul it every year or two or at least you should. That's would be good enough for any keel maintenance and the cost of the maintenance would be far cheaper than a horribly performing wing keel conversion. I don't think they point very well.

David
Dan Oliver
Costa Mesa, CA

Boat Name: Eloise

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1971

Hull No. 823

Hailing Port: Wilmington, CA
08/09/2009 10:22 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the responses. Swing keel is worth the trouble. Boat needs some bottom paint and some attention to the keel, hopefully won't "keel" me in the process! I bought her w/o a trailer, still a good buy and I'm afraid I'm more than a little smitten with her.... I'll be looking for a good buy on Craig's List.
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
08/10/2009 5:57 AM Pacific Time

Okay Dan, I found the link. Scroll down and you will find the pics for this retrofit.
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/c22maint.htm
R Thomas
Long Beach, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 14922

Hailing Port: Long Beach
08/10/2009 4:02 PM Pacific Time

Dan,
Contact me off list regarding a So Cal. wing keel.
[email protected]

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel retrofitted to a Wing Keel