Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Buying my first Cat 22 advice

Author Buying my first Cat 22 advice
Doug
Santee, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: San Diego
08/05/2009 7:26 AM Pacific Time

I've been sailing a Capri with my sailing club for a couple of years and now I want to buy my own. My wife and I will mainly sail in the harbors of So. California. First, what is the difference between the Capri and the MKII. I will be trailoring part of the year so what keel do you suggest. And, do you know if you can buy a Cat directly from the factory, or boat show for a discount.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
08/05/2009 1:32 PM Pacific Time

Capri is a racer with a long fin keel and a little sparce on comfort. the MKII is either a wing keel or retractable swing keel. If you plan on mainly cruising go
with a MKII wing keel. The MKII is wider at the deck by 8" and has lots of room
below. The keel is fixed so the maintainence is lower than a swing keel and it can sail in about 3' of water. Your wife will like this boat the best. Catalina also
makes a sport which is kind of a cross between the Capri and and a swing keel.
There is a large national org that covers the "old style" 1970-early 80s,"new style
1986- , the sport and MKII. This advice depends on what type of sailing you will be doing but no matter which model the C22 is a very easy to sail, forgiving, tough little boat. I cruise a 1985 "new style" on the northern gulf coast cruise and
a fall cruise every year since 2002. I have a 1979 for racing and a 1977 for loaning to friends that want to learn. most of the cruisers aspire to own a MKII.
Join the national org. the magazine, news and free advise is more the worth it.
There are almost 16,000 C22s made so you will make a few new friends on the water.
Doug
Santee, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: San Diego
08/05/2009 8:10 PM Pacific Time

Thank you very much. I'm new to sailing and appreciate all your help. Surprisingly, there are very few Catalina 22's for sale in San Diego. I'm pretty sure I want a MKII with a wing keel that we can sail in the harbors around So. Cal. I'm getting close to retirement so I'm not looking to get a project boat, I really just want to get out on the beautiful San Diego Bay. I'm going to keep looking and hopefully I can report our new boat soon. Very nice of you to take time to respond. Thanks again.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
08/06/2009 10:05 AM Pacific Time

Robert, the new style-pre Mark II, wing keeled Catalinas are also great cruising boats. The later models have the front hatch on the cabin instead of on the deck which allows for greater ventilation. There is still plenty of room below too. Mine is a 1989 model and I really love it. I also think you can save a lot of money with these over the Mark II. I did have a 70's swing keel boat and it was fast but the keel was a continuing source of trouble. The wing is steadier and does not require any maintenance except paint. It only draws 2.5' of water. It does, however, require a lot more effort to get off a sandy bottom if you ground it as it becomes a large Plow anchor as opposed to the swing keel which just winches up so you can float off easily-so don't ground it!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/06/2009 3:20 PM Pacific Time

I own a 1973 swing keel but have also owned a 1987 wing keel #14644 and 1986 swing keel. It will be harder to find a used MK II wing keel as the number of boats built is much smaller than the 1987 up to MK I models. Like the previous gentleman said, don't count out the pre MKI & II wing keel models. There are lots of C22's in the Arizona, Oregon, and Washington area as well as CA. Keep checking on Craigs list and C22 Region 10 forum at least weekly and you may have better luck.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/06/2009 3:39 PM Pacific Time

I don't think you can buy directly from the factory as they have dealers that are paying a fee to sell the C22 and wouldn't want to be undercut by the manufacturer. Dealers pre-setup the boat for you the way you want it (delivery fee) and can order any upgrades or accessories you want for a fee. Your best buy for a C22 new model would be to get the list of dealers from Catalina Yachts for the Western states you are willing to travel to pick a boat. For example the host of this forum Catalina Direct is a dealer for CA and would love to give you a quote. Also there is a dealer,The Sailboat Shop in Peoria, AZ on Lake Pleasant that has great prices and has a used boat lot with at least six C22's (sometimes wing keel models) at anytime. If you are willing to drive a day or two to pick up a new or used post 1987 C22, you should be out sailing SD Bay soon. Sometimes dealers selling C22's at a boat show will give you incentives and discounts or add on's (cockpit cushions, roller furling, etc.) when purchasing from them at discounted boat show prices. The problem with that is you have to wait for a boat show where Catalina dealers are selling boats. Hope this helps and good luck!

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Buying my first Cat 22 advice