Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Cabin Top Under C22 Mast Step Damage

Author Cabin Top Under C22 Mast Step Damage
George Ashbridge
Columbia, SC

Boat Name: Bacchante

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. 7583

Hailing Port: Cloumbia, SC
08/11/2009 4:15 AM Pacific Time

I need repair advice for fixing cabin top area under mast step. Aluminum step bent abt 1/4" out of plane, and fibreglass surface under it aft in is now dished in. Spider cracks in the glass, no serious break or tears.
Am I right in suspecting rot in core, and should I fix it by cutting out area directly under mast and replacing core? (I really don't want to do this, although I have the tools and skills to do an adquate job). I see no damage to overhead inside cabin in area of mast step, although there is slight crack in teak wood post supporting mast. I'll glue that up.
Regardless I am going to install an approx 9" x 9" piece of 1/8" thick stainless steel plate under the mast step when I install a new one. The plate will better distribute weight to cabin top. Can I get by with plate alone, without disturbing fibeglass??
Many thanks for any advice!!
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
08/11/2009 12:39 PM Pacific Time

Hi George, I had the same problem on my 79 c22. The previous owner used the boat for racing and had the stays tensioned way to tight. I had to replace the support under the liner in front of the keel trunk because it had fallen loose and allowed the teak pole to drop about 1". I used a piece of 4 x 4 oak and trimmed it to fit all the way to the hull rib . The plywood was rotten under the mast step,so I cut out the smooth strip of cabin top under the mast step for a total of 1'. I removed the rotted wood and filled the void with cloth and west epoxy. I still have to fair the top and paint but the mast does not compress any more. I thought about using a 1/4" aluminum plate as you said but decided to go the other route.
It was not hard work but it did get messy but now I know there is only layers of fiberglass under the step and I don't worry about leaking or rot.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
03/15/2010 4:58 PM Pacific Time

Good move if you go this route, definatly use glass mat or cloth to reinforce the epoxy. Also, Robert I am in Douglasville if you ever want to fare the step, I have the tools and a pneumatic file to speed the job up.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
03/16/2010 8:48 AM Pacific Time

Just a short word of caution. Don't put too much faith in the stainless steel plate. I will certainly distribute the load to the cabin top but the majority of the load is taken by the compression post to the keel so make sure everything in that path is in good shape.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Cabin Top Under C22 Mast Step Damage