Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / wheel stearing on a 22

Author wheel stearing on a 22
Alan
albemarle NC

Boat Name: piedpiperIII

Model/Year: 1989 catalina 22

Hull No. ctyh5004e989

Hailing Port: Lake tillery
08/11/2009 7:29 PM Pacific Time

Has anybody ever converted from a tiller to a wheel on a cat.22? Is it posible? I am thinking a small wheel far back controlled from either side. Thank you all in advance. Alan
Alan
albemarle NC

Hull No. ctyh5004e989

08/11/2009 7:45 PM Pacific Time

I have just found this topic from back in 2005, I am thinking of a small whell as far back as posible not in the middle of the cockpit, not to stand behind but to stear from the side. Alan

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/12/2009 8:06 AM Pacific Time

A wheel adds a lot of weight, and the farther back it is, the slower your boat will go. the stern needs to just sit on the water to get best speed. If the issue is steering from the side, a tiller extension is the way to go. there are extendable ones that will let you sit as close or as far from the tiller as you want. A wheel also adds complexity that is not necessary.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/12/2009 2:09 PM Pacific Time

I have seen one up close and on the internet. I believe the gentleman was from the Folsom Lake area where C22 NSA Fleet 4 is. I know the pictures were on the internet. The name of the C22 was "BOAT"
Alan
albemarle NC

Hull No. ctyh5004e989

08/12/2009 4:20 PM Pacific Time

I have watched the install of an edson wheel on a bigger boat than mine and it was not heavy at all. I do use a tiller extention my real problem is that the tiller movement during tacking etc, that my crew has to move all the time. The pedestal realling isn't heavy at all. Thanx Alan
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
08/12/2009 8:20 PM Pacific Time

Having known/seen two C22's to have wheel steering, these are my observations from talking to the owners, and seeing the boat sail.

One had a small, wooden ship's wheel mounted on some sort of pedestal. It took up nearly a third of the cockpit. The skipper sat on either side, but from what I could see, he never looked laid back as if he were in a comfy position.

Another skipper had a 'normal' stainless wheel and pedestal. Again, it took up much of the cockpit space..

From my observations, the wheel didn't work as well as a tiller. When sailing, seemed the fellows were always twisting and turning the wheel, and when the wind blew, one of them had a heck of time steering with all of the weather helm we can have on these boats.

I've seen them, but too me, our boats are too small for wheel. Even 25's are too small. Their cockpits are smaller than the 22, I think. Never measured them.
But, it's your boat, and if you want to install one, we'd all like to see the pictures!

Enjoy!
Kemo Sabe

Alan
albemarle NC

Hull No. ctyh5004e989

08/13/2009 4:22 AM Pacific Time

Thank you all for the input, I have done alot of research on this and decided to have my pasengers be more agile in the cockpit. We sail a small lake and there for have to tack alot and the tiller seems to hit some knees. Alan
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/13/2009 10:02 AM Pacific Time

If you sail in pretty light air, you could try a shorter tiller. I wouldn't recommend cutting our existing tiller, but maybe trying a crude one from a 2x2 or length of stiff tubing for a time to see how it works out.

David
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/13/2009 10:04 AM Pacific Time

BTW, good move on passing up the wheel. it could be nifty but likely more trouble than its worth. Too bad there wasn't a way to give that a try w/o drilling holes in the boat. It would be a fun challenge to try to make one that would be removable so you could restore it to a tiller boat if it didn't work out. Hmmmm.......

David

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / wheel stearing on a 22