Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / broken attachment point on swing keel. keel cable no longer connected

Author broken attachment point on swing keel. keel cable no longer connected
Iam Nutz
Eucha, Oklahoma

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1969/70

Hull No. 178

Hailing Port: Holway Point - Grand Lake O' The Cherokees
08/21/2009 8:03 PM Pacific Time

the area on the keel where the keel cable attaches has failed. is there a retro-fit kit or something to fix this problem?
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
08/28/2009 1:11 AM Pacific Time

yes there is a replacement eyebolt.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=244
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/28/2009 10:11 AM Pacific Time

With a hull number that old, you may not have the eye bolt. You could retrofit for it or you may have to get 'creative'. A photo posted to photobucket or some other free service and linked here would get you some better ideas from the collective.
David
Dan Scherer
Austin, TX

Boat Name: Wind Player

Model/Year: swing keel

Hull No. 4444

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
08/30/2009 1:13 PM Pacific Time

i have a swing keel with a good attachment point for sale in austin, Tx
email me at
[email protected]
of interested.
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
08/31/2009 7:44 AM Pacific Time

This is what the cable attachment point on the keel looks like (maybe not as corroded!).

I have seen photos where the eye had broken out of the keel. To repair the problem, a strap was bent into a "U" shape and through-bolted onto the keel where the eye-bolt should be. Maybe not the best if you are a racer, but fine for ordinary sailing. Comments?

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / broken attachment point on swing keel. keel cable no longer connected