Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Rigging a preventor using the boom vang

Author Rigging a preventor using the boom vang
Paul Walker
Austin, Tx

Boat Name: Dragonfly

Model/Year: 1983 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH1562M83F

Hailing Port: Sail & Ski Marina, Lake Travis - Austin, Tx.
09/01/2009 1:31 PM Pacific Time

Is anyone using their boom vang as a preventor when heading downwind? If so where and how are you attaching the end that connects to the vang hound (mast end) ? I'm leaning toward something on fore most section of the the genoa track since I generally fly a 135 and never use that section of track.

Specifically I'm thinking about two additional cars on the track with spring blocks and setting it up like the single sheet line on the genoa and attaching the mast end of the vang to the middle of the sheet. This way when I've completed a "planned gybe" I sung up the sheet on the boom side and dont have to leave the cockpit to reattach.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/02/2009 7:54 AM Pacific Time

Hi Paul,
Sounds like a nice approach. Since we usually have a crew forward on the bow when running, we just have a line attached to the vang/boom connection point, and run it forward on the boom side under the sheets and attach it to the bow cleet on that side. when we gybe we release it and then bring it back up on the other side. When you set yours up, a pix would be great.
Tom Beaumont, Quixotic, 7555, West River, Chesapeake Bay
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
09/02/2009 11:09 AM Pacific Time

Paul,
First, I'm not a big fan of preventers. Broken booms and other bad things. I'd suggest some sort of wind indicator on the mast or the shrouds (red yarn works well) and not running so deep that you are by the lee. I'll admit that large waves will send you into a jibe, that's pretty rare on a lake.

But, having said that, my C27 had two lines running from the vang attachment at the boom let to blocks on the rail and cleated at the cockpit. You could simply uncleat the old preventer and cleat the new preventer after you jibed. It needs to be easy to get to, and quickly uncleated. I'd also recommend carrying a knife for emergencies. Bad things happen fast when you jibed and your preventer hasn't!

David
preventerless and happy that way.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/02/2009 9:49 PM Pacific Time

I agree with David about sailing downwind! It is more important to be alert and know wind direction and proper sail trim than to rely on a preventer. Practicing controlled jibes just like person overboard manuevers is an essenstial skill that should be practiced often. Whatever rigging method you choose, be sure to make it a quick easy undo.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Rigging a preventor using the boom vang