Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / steaming light replacement

Author steaming light replacement
Kurt Green
Lake Villa, IL

Boat Name: Sharon Lee

Model/Year: C22 / 1973

Hull No. 2162

Hailing Port: Great Lakes, IL
03/15/2004 12:59 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone replaced their old style (circular teak pad) steaming light with the new steaming / deck light combo from CD?

How did it go?

Thanks,

Kurt Green
s/v Sharon Lee
C22 #2162 Great Lakes IL
http://hometown.aol.com/knights5/myhomepage/svsharonlee.html
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
04/04/2004 12:37 PM Pacific Time

The Catalina 22 Technical Manual 2001 has diagrams showing how to wire the Steamer/deck light. I've just ordered the Anchor light (Z2004);Pedestal (D1157);Anchor light tubwe installation kit(Z1798);Steaming/Deck light (Z2019); as well as the mast wiring harness (D2087) from CD.

The diagram in the Tec Manual will give you all the info and parts needed to wire the new lights. I have the CD for the Manual so if you need that page just e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Good luck.

Rich Reisner
[email protected]
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
05/23/2004 2:54 PM Pacific Time

Kurt,

I just completed installing the CD Steamer/Deck and Anchor lights. With the wire harness from CD it was easy. I installed new switches on the mast as was shown in the Tec manual for the C-22 "Antidote". After doing the teak we'll be sailing by Memorial Day.

Rich Reisner
[email protected]
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
10/03/2005 6:22 AM Pacific Time

I just added a steaming light (Did not have one originally) Now my question, I want to add a 4 pin connector, can this be done and how do I get the additional wire from the pin, through the deck?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/04/2005 10:08 AM Pacific Time

You get it back through the deck with fear and trebitaion. No not really, when you pull up the rectacle that is in the deck there will be some slack on the wires, and you can then just push a wire along side the ones coming up, or tie another wire on to those and and pull it down through, then attach your new wire to the bundle and pull them all back up through. The new wire that you add in the mast should be stranded, not solid. Also, if you can find 'tinned stranded' wire it will be better. There is an admontion in the CD catalog about corrosion of un-tinned copper even in a cable. I think this is a good idea, if you are in salt water especilaly. The poor boy way out is that you will probably sell the boat before it becomes a problem for you. The 'tinned stranded' wire is very dear, CDdoes sell it, it is good.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 622

10/04/2005 11:23 AM Pacific Time

Thanks! I'll take a look at that this pm and see where it goes.....
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
10/04/2005 7:24 PM Pacific Time

Hmmmmmmm......
I don't think you'll want to add wires. If you do, you'll be running a new wire group through the cabin as the original 2 wires were glassed in to the cabin top. You WON'T be adding any to that pair. You can get by with to by using either the "Antidote" version mentioned above or another eloquent version which utilizes diodes. Do refer to the C22 Technical Manual available from the C22NSA.
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 622

10/05/2005 6:10 AM Pacific Time

I did a work-around suggested by Dick King. Worked great and was easy. I ran quadraplex wire using one as a common ground for the steamer and anchor light. I used one hot each for the above mentioned lights. That leaves me one extra hot if I want to mount another electrical item on or near the mast.

Thanks all!
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
12/03/2005 5:27 PM Pacific Time

I know this is an old post but it is hitting something I'm on now. What is the correct location of the deck/steaming light that is mounted on the forward edge of the mast (Time Out does not have one now). That is, how far from the top or the bottom of the mast does the light go?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/04/2005 5:37 AM Pacific Time

Looking at photos, it is about 1 foot above the spreaders.
Rick
New Bern, NC

Boat Name: Wendy Sails

Model/Year: Cat 22. 1985

Hull No. 12798

Hailing Port: Blackbeard Sailing Club
07/03/2019 8:54 AM Pacific Time

I bought the Steaming & Halogen Deck Light 82, and am concerned that when I wrap the wings around the sides of the mast the light mount does not fit snuggly against the mast, and leaves a lot of room for water to leak through. Should I put sealant on the back of the light mount?
Rick
New Bern, NC

Boat Name: Wendy Sails

Model/Year: Cat 22. 1985

Hull No. 12798

Hailing Port: Blackbeard Sailing Club
07/03/2019 8:54 AM Pacific Time

I bought the Steaming & Halogen Deck Light 82, and am concerned that when I wrap the wings around the sides of the mast the light mount does not fit snuggly against the mast, and leaves a lot of room for water to leak through. Should I put sealant on the back of the light mount?

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / steaming light replacement