Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Single Axle or Tandem Axle - Catalina 22

Author Single Axle or Tandem Axle - Catalina 22
Wayne Hunt
Cumming, GA

Boat Name: Hawgin It

Model/Year: 1988 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH14373H788

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
09/05/2009 11:33 AM Pacific Time

I have a 2009 F150 4.6 V8, 3.55 Rear with towing package. I plan on trailering my Catalina 22. Distances could exceed 600 mi one way, partly interstate, partly secondary roads. I'm not sure if I should be looking at a single axle or tandem axle trailer, and with or without brakes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Wayne Hunt
Cumming, GA

Boat Name: Hawgin It

Model/Year: 1988 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH14373H788

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
09/05/2009 11:38 AM Pacific Time

I forgot to mention it's a swing keel.
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
09/05/2009 11:48 PM Pacific Time

Brakes, definitely. Make sure to use trailer type tires with enough carrying capacity. I have trailered my '88 swing 2200 miles on one trip through the mountains. Really appreciated the trailer brakes on the 6% and 8% grades even tho was towing with a heavy duty 3/4 T. Trailer only has single axle and seemed fine, if going with single axle,make sure it has enough weight rating.
You will want a hitch extension but not the tube inside tube type, they seem to get seized up.
Ken
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
09/06/2009 7:40 AM Pacific Time

I have the exact same truck, except mine is a 2001 model, and trailer set up. I have towed it several times over 600 miles with no issues. Just pack as much stuff into the truck and keep the boat as light as possible to keep the loads on the (single) axle light. Make sure you have bearing buddies installed and check the hubs at every stop. You should be able to hold the hub with your hand, if it's too hot to hold then something is wrong. Pump in more grease and monitor it carefully. Be careful with packing the hubs, it is easy to pump in too much and blow out the inner seal, which will let grease out the back of the hub and sling it all over the hull. I use a home made tube within a tube tong extender, it does stick and after 14 years it needs to re worked a bit, but it is fool proof and very strong.

Craig
C22 Toujours' ete
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
09/06/2009 8:08 AM Pacific Time

Wayne, I would recommend the single-axle trailer. With the single-axle trailer, you only have two tires and two sets of bearings to worry about. Also, a dual-axle trailer doesn't give you twice the load-carrying capacity, it splits the load-carrying capacity in two. In other words, a failure on the road requires immediate attention with a two-axle rig just as it does with a one-axle rig. You can't safely carry the load with one of the two axles working.

Recommend brakes, too, if you are hauling long distances. Just makes sense.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
09/06/2009 1:20 PM Pacific Time

I procrastinated a long time trying to decide the same thing. Single or dual. The single axle standard weight rating is 3500 lbs and our boats should weigh around 2500 unless you have loaded a lot of stuff in the boat. A tandem axle will carry more weight and the springs etc are set up for more weight. A 2500 lb boat on a tandem axle trailer might actually have a rougher ride unless you adjust the springs.
I tow with a F-150 with the tow package and just purchased a new galvanized trailer from Sail Trailers in Columbus GA this spring. I am very pleased with the way it tows. We did a trip for the great lakes cruise about 600 miles and I didnt even know it was back there.
Definately get the brakes. I bought my trailer with electric brakes and really like it. My last trailer didnt have brakes. Towing a C22 requires brakes, regardless of what you are towing with.

Mike Bracket
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
09/07/2009 8:34 AM Pacific Time

Note: The combined weight of the trailer, boat and gear on board, the total can come close to, or possibly exceed, the #3500 capacity of a single axle. As mentioned above, stow some of the gear in the tow vehicle.

Many states require trailer brakes if the combined weight is #3000 (Some as low as #1500) or more. Check with your state's Department of Transportation to be sure.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/08/2009 10:41 PM Pacific Time

If you buy a used trailer, be sure to check the weight limit on the trailer identification tag. I've seen some home built/modified trailers for C22 sailboats and the rails, axles and wheels seem to be on the "light side". Remember the towing weight (for trailers as well as vehicle) is usually the maximum rate, while the actual recommended rate can be 15- 20% less than stated. Definitely have trailer brakes as you will need them "when you really need them". We have been towing a C22 for over 23 years, sometimes thousands of miles, and all the previous mentions on weight distribution (proper tongue weight also), tires, wheel bearings, brakes, springs are right on. Our first C22 #14644 wing keel came on a single axle new trailer from the dealer. Within a year we added a second axle. Our two other C22 trailers since then were tandem axle.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Single Axle or Tandem Axle - Catalina 22