Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Bow light problems

Author Bow light problems
Dale R. Bezzard
Manheim, PA

Boat Name: Hocus Pocus

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1986

Hull No. 13654

Hailing Port: Worton Creek, MD
09/08/2009 5:25 AM Pacific Time

1986 C22. I have power at the panel for the bow light but no power at the light. Sounds like I need to run new bow light wires. Has anyone done this? Tips? Where to drill? Length/type of wire? Any help is greatly appreciated as this problem is keeping us at the dock in the evenings! Thanks, Dale.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/09/2009 6:21 AM Pacific Time

Hi Dale,

Before you think about running new wires you need to analyze why this happened. There are a number of reasons you have no power. Having some knowledge in electronics and electricity I have found over the years that there usually are stupid and simple answers to problems that I have turned into major projects. Step by step.

Check the fuse (or circuit breaker) I don't know if you have fuses or CB's on your boat. If there is power at the load side of the circuit breaker then the problem lies somewhere in between the panel and the lightbulb. I lost power to my mast light and found out that the wire had come off of the panel. Did you do any installations, drill any holes etc. where you might have damaged a wire? If not then you may have corroded connection(s) on the bow light itself. Sometimes with these lights, the bakelite plate that insulates the postive wire in the light fixture gets stuck due to rust on the socket and that will cause problems. If there is any rust at all in the light fixture you should replace the fixture. How did you check for voltage at the light? The entire fixture may not be grounded. Sometimes there is a patina on the wires that will prevent an electrical connection unless you do a really good job of clamping you volt meter connections onto the wire. Don't get upset but did you use a resistance meter on the bulb to make sure it is good?

If none of this works, email me at [email protected] and we can discuss things further.

Greg

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Bow light problems