Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / catalina 27 bukheads

Author catalina 27 bukheads
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
09/19/2009 7:43 PM Pacific Time

i have sold my 22 and bought another project boat. a c27, i only have 1 major issue. the bulkheads holding the chainplates. if i loosen my upper sidestays can i unhook them and replace my bulkheads one side at a time. i was told by other big boat owners to run my halyard to that side and tie it down good for safety and that my lowers wuld hold up the mast. has anyone here done that with a boat this size. by the way i have replaced the lower stay bolts with the c 27 bolt kit so im dure the are good and secure. any help would be ppreciated as i am having trouble finding a way to lower the mast. thanks
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
09/19/2009 7:52 PM Pacific Time

fyi, i came back to this site for help cause this seems to be the only site i can really get help and ideas from. keep up the good help everyone
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
09/19/2009 11:21 PM Pacific Time

As Greg said, this is the site to find help. Sadly, I sold my Cat 22 and could not find one having all of the stuff that I need to sail, now, since I busted my kneecap in Dec and it's made my leg stiff so that hopping around on deck is too precarious~all lines lead to cockpit on my newly acquired '84 O'Day...and the elec start motor even has cockpit controls! There are instruments up the kazoo. Too bad I'm not traveling all that far to need most of them
But, to get to the point, there is an O'Day site but not nearly like this one....which in my limited experience w/boat sites, I have found that this one is super!
If I need some basic info, I hope you don't mind if I come back and see if I can find help here. Never sailed the O'Day, but most people who have them say they like them, so here's hoping!
Thanks Bob Conway, for the bits and pieces that you've sent to me over the years...
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/20/2009 12:07 AM Pacific Time

On our last C30 we owned, the upper shrouds attachment needed reinforcement due to structural damage to the bulkhead wood where it was fastened (common in the C30). My husband is very handy at fixing things and our surveyor and rigger gave us the same advice you got, which was to run the halyard to the side to provide support while working on the problem. It was less than a day job to fix the problem so we were at the boat in our slip the whole time and every thing worked fine. I've read books that this is the method used when there was rigging failure while sailing, so it made sense to not have to drop the mast to make the repair. We trusted the advice of seasoned professionals.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / catalina 27 bukheads