Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Loading Catalina 22 onto trailer with broken keel cable

Author Loading Catalina 22 onto trailer with broken keel cable
Wayne Hunt
Cumming, GA

Boat Name: Hawgin It

Model/Year: 1988 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH14373H788

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
10/01/2009 5:22 PM Pacific Time

Well, I was making plans to hual out my 88 catalina 22 for bottom painting and general maintenance. Figured I make sure the swing keel would raise. It was a tad cranky. I was working the winch in small bits, up-down-up a little more-down a little less. Short story the cable breaks. Anyone have experiences with loading the boat with a broken keel cable onto a standard Cat 22 bunk type trailer from a typical boat ramp?
My marina has a lift and I could probably get them to set it down on the ground in such a way the keel goes back up and then with a heavy duty strap tie it up and then they could put it on the trailer, but that would be about $200. Thanks for any helpful advice.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
10/01/2009 6:27 PM Pacific Time

Wayne,
Your keel cable could not have broken in a better location, on Lake Lanier in Ga, I hope, near Gainesville, but especially close to "Tar Baby" Dennis Slaton, a C22 Mastermind.

He should be in the phone book in Gainesville, and has taken many a boat out with broken cables. We were discussing this scenario at the Gone With the Wind Regatta very recently.

From what I've heard him say, you can take a long piece of line, tie one end to one cockpit winch, lead it under the boat and in front of the keel so you are pulling backward. Then lead the other end to the opposite cockpit winch.

The boat should be near the trailer already in the water when this occurs. Begin cranking on the wrapped cockpit winch so that the keel is pulled up some. I'd try and have someone to help line the boat up straight as possible when you get close to the trailer, aiming the keel for the keel roller. I would not imagine that the keel needs to be all the way up as it will begin collapsing, as the trailer winch is hooked, then it begins cranking the boat forward on the submerged trailer, with extended trailer tongue.

I'd say that if you three helpers, one on the trailer winch, two on the sides for alignment, the trailer winch will do most of the collapsing of the winch. With the right alignment, you may not even scratch your keel too much.

Or, locate fleet 58, C22 at the National C22 location, and give the fleet captain a call. He'll put you in touch with Dennis Slaton, or let your fingers do the walking through the Gainesville phone book. I know he has a land line and cell phone. Call one of the Ga officers, or national officers here. They know Tar Baby.

http://www.catalina22.org/nsa/officers.htm
Best wishes for a successful retrieval,
Kemo Sabe
Wayne Hunt
Cumming, GA

Boat Name: Hawgin It

Model/Year: 1988 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH14373H788

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
10/01/2009 6:55 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the reply Larry. I checked with Dennis and he confirmed what you said. I originally bought the boat from Dennis in 1997. And with marina slip fees continuing to rise I'm going dry stroage plus now that I'm retired I have a desire to trailer the boat to different areas. So Dennis is building me a trailer. He's a handy chap fur sur.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
10/02/2009 10:39 AM Pacific Time

Wayne The method Larry wrote is good and cheap. When you call Dennis
ask about the warranty. I was retrieving my c22 after the NGCC 3 years ago
and forgot to raise the keel. Actually I had helped a couple of boats before me and just thought I remembered raising a keel (it wasn't mine). Anyway if the angle of the trailer is deep enough (steep ramp) and the keel is alinged on the roller the boat can be loaded. The "Larry" method make it much easier.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/02/2009 11:35 AM Pacific Time

Wayne, where did the cable break?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/03/2009 11:18 AM Pacific Time

If you don't have a roller for the keel, the winching will be a little tougher as you are pulling an additional 250+ lbs up the bunks. I have done several C22's with broken keel cable, including mine when I purchased it. To get the keel all the way up, run the rope across the underside of the boat as noted before from winch to winch, going under the keel. As you start winching the rope up, it will want to slip along the bottom of the keel towards the front and may slip off. If you tie another rope to the underwater winching rope and lead it to the stern and keep pressure on it, you can keep the sling rope from sliding forward and the keel can be winched all the way up using the genoa winches, before getting it on a trailer. The setup should look like a bridle and will make it easy to winch the boat onto a trailer.
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
10/03/2009 6:42 PM Pacific Time

The same thing happenned to me a couple of years ago. I fixed it by purchasing the needed parts from CD and then contacting our local police dive team. I was able to talk a scuba-diving police officer into doing the underwater attachment of the keel cable to the keef for $75.00/. It only took him about 1/2 hour, so that it turned ito a good deal for both of us.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Loading Catalina 22 onto trailer with broken keel cable