Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Removing window frames for seal replacement

Author Removing window frames for seal replacement
Mahlon Keel
Bakersfield, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1160

Hailing Port:
10/03/2009 6:27 PM Pacific Time

I have removed the inner frame on my 72' Cat. 22, and I have an idea how they come out, but I am unsure about the technique to break the outer frame loose from the cabin fiberglass. Should I use a rubber hammer or dig the old glazing channel seal out? The last thing I want to do is bust out a chunk of fiberglass. Any advice would be appreciated.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
10/04/2009 11:48 AM Pacific Time

Mahlon,
In the past, I have removed some of the windows by bumping them out with the h eel of my palm. But, it has been quite a while since this happened. I think that now I'd try that, but if that didn't work, I'd go with the rubber hammer, perhaps with a towel or something to help absorb the blow; but, I'd increase the blows a bit at a time from then on.

I'll be interested in this thread as I have to do the same thing, and it's been long since I did the repair on another boat. Hope someone else has a surefire way of removing the window without breaking it!
Good luck!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/04/2009 8:00 PM Pacific Time

Don't go gorilla on the windows. You never know if a previous owner used some type of permanent sealer/bonding agent which might complicate things like breaking the fiberglass as you stated. If you bought your re-do kit from Catalina Direct, I'm sure they can give you options for removing. If not, I would check with a RV repair place as they often remove windows and re-set them and must have techniques to ease the process. It's something we will have to do soon on our 73 C22 but keep putting it off for fear of not being able to get the old seal free. Good luck and let us know how it turned out and what you did.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
10/05/2009 8:06 AM Pacific Time

I have not tried this on my C22 but automotive shops use a thin wire with handles on each end that they force between the frame and the glass to cut the sealant. It might work between the window frame and the fiberglass on the C22 window.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
10/05/2009 11:42 AM Pacific Time

I've seen fellows use strong fishing line remove a front hatch using the procedure you mention Greg.
I'd start off with the bump method first. Some I've removed near fell out with the bump. But, then I'd use a whole tube of silicon caulk to shoot in the windows-then still have leaks. Yep, people use caulking all right. Good point.
Larry
Jim Kross
Seattle, WA

Boat Name: Lanaki

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Port Madison, WA
11/05/2009 9:56 AM Pacific Time

Earlier this year I resealed windows that had been sealed in-place with silicone. They were extremely well "glued" to the cabin, but still leaked. Once the inner frame was removed I used a razor blade to cut through the silicon between the cabin fiberglass and the outer portion of the frame. I made a handle for the razor blade using two pieces of flat aluminum bar bolted together. Putting masking tape on the fiberglass around the window kept it from getting scratched; it worked quite well.

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Removing window frames for seal replacement