Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / bilge water

Author bilge water
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/08/2009 10:51 AM Pacific Time

I've been pulling my hair out trying to track down the source of bilge water that seems to collect after a day of sailing in strong winds. Specifically, if I am out in 20-25 knots with lots of heeling, I get back to port and find an inch or so of water in the bilge - however, this water doesn't showup if the boat is just sitting at the mooring (a good thing). And it is not always a sure thing - sometimes the water appears even when the boat doesn't heel all that much after a sail.

I have closed seacocks on my thruhulls (which I replaced and strengthened two years ago) and I removed and reseated the bottom gudgeon thinking the water may possibly seep through there. I can't imagine enough water can squirt through the small vents at the side of the boat to make a difference.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/09/2009 5:20 AM Pacific Time

Hi Bill,

I would check the keel tightener bolt under the forward dinette seat. If it is missing then that is your leak. It is possible that the tightener is there but is still leaking, put some heavy waterproof grease around the bolt if there is none on it and that may solve your problem. That is one potential source, did you check the "volcano" tube for the winch cable? that is another potential source if it is not secured properly.

Greg
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/09/2009 5:21 AM Pacific Time

I should have looked at your boat specs. You have a wingkeel. In that case have you ever checked the tightness of the keel bolts? A friend of mine had a keel boat and he had them torqued every season to make sure that they were tight.

Greg
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
10/09/2009 5:36 AM Pacific Time

Hello Bill,

I have experienced similar mystery water. Sailiing big waves and the bow punching through them left water in the starbord sette locker and the bilge. That night I saw drips on the inner cabin liner. Water was being forced under the rubrail and into the cabin. I later caulked under the rubrail and have not had any further problem with water in the cabin. I used an acrylic caulk and it is still holding fine five years now.

ljp
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/10/2009 11:03 PM Pacific Time

Are you sure the gudgeon is not leaking again? I had a wing keel also #14644 and it leaked there more than once due to the tremendous tourque a severly healing rudder puts on it. Also, as mentioned, the possibility of the rubrail letting in water is a possibility. I was once told you could put powdered chalk (like they use to snap chalk lines with) between the inner liner and hull (one color for each side). Get the boat sailing on a good heel on starboard for awhile, and then check to see if the bilge water is colored. Switch to a port tack and repeat the process. This would definetly let you know if it was coming from the rub rail. I never did this check as both times there was water, it came from the gudgeon.
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
10/12/2009 2:28 PM Pacific Time

Have you checked the little storage compartments in the seat backs in the cockpit? I had to caulk the joint at the bottom where the compartment meets the seat back.
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/16/2009 2:46 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The three things that I am going to try is to reseat the gudgeon, tighten the keel bolt (if needed), and caulk under the rubrail.

Thanks again!
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/16/2009 3:12 PM Pacific Time

Louis (or anyone who has done this) -

When you caulked under the rubrail, you didn't remove the rubrail, right? You just laid down a bead of caulk between the bottom of the aluminum bracket of the rubrail and the hull, correct?

If I end up doing this, I want to do it right - but don't want to create extra work.
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
10/16/2009 5:18 PM Pacific Time

Hello Bill,

No, you don't need to remove anything except cobwebs or mud-wasp nests that you might find under the rail.

When I caulked under the rubrail, I first applied a strip of painter's tape just under the rail, all around the boat. Any caulk suitable for outdoors should be ok as it is all under the rail and not exposed to weather/UV/etc. For this job, I suggest that you "push" the caulking into the joint rather than "pulling" the bead as you walk away. A wet finger tip will help force it under there and the painter's tape makes clean up easy. Goodluck,

ljp

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / bilge water