Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / can the catalina 22 hold up in the caribean

Author can the catalina 22 hold up in the caribean
sean olsen
north attleboro, ma

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1972?

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/12/2009 5:40 AM Pacific Time

im planning on taking my boat to down through the keys and to cuba. but the more i work on this boat the more i find flimsy comstruction, even fiberglass is a bit thin especially for an early 70's boat. , im reinforcing chainplates, and spreaders broke yesterday. the mast step seems awfully small as well. has anyone taken one of these boats on a passage like this? or been exposed to open water for extended periods of time. how did she hold up?
thanks
sean
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/12/2009 7:22 AM Pacific Time

Sean, although the hull is strong, the earlier boats were noted for the lightness, which is why they are sought after by racers.

PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER or FELLSMERE, FLORIDA have sailed to the Bahamas and have posted extensively on this site. Here's one link.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/forums/fr_topic.cfm?topic_id=540
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
12/30/2010 8:57 AM Pacific Time

Why not sell the 72 to someone looking for a racer and buy or trade for a wing keel. There are several areas on the later models that were beefed up.
The mast on later models has flat sides. The old style oval/tear drop is lighter and desired by racers. Hulls are heaver and rigging is stronger.

Let us know how the trip goes.

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / can the catalina 22 hold up in the caribean